Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Wyrd Rune-Did it ever exist?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Wyrd Rune-Did it ever exist?

    I recently ran across an article saying that the "wyrd" rune never existed and is a new invention. What do you think of this? Is there any truth in it? Article here--> http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/blank_rune.html

  • #2
    The article is correct. The earliest mention of a blank Rune is Ralph Blume's book, which has some other inconsistencies with Runic alphabets as well, most notably the order of the Runes. It would be like re-ordering the modern alphabet C, X, J, Z, L....

    Comment


    • #3
      The Wyrd rune never shows up in the rune poems and rune songs. It was a new age invention, just like angels as sweet, pure beings (a favorite rant, but for a different time perhaps). If you want to use the Wyrd rune, fine, but it makes the entire set off-balance and awkward.

      I'm sure Rick will be along shortly to share his plethora of knowledge.

      banner made by me!

      Childfree and loving it.

      What's this?

      High Priestess of the Googlites

      You actually want to know more about me?
      My LJ

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Verthandi
        The Wyrd rune never shows up in the rune poems and rune songs. It was a new age invention, just like angels as sweet, pure beings (a favorite rant, but for a different time perhaps). If you want to use the Wyrd rune, fine, but it makes the entire set off-balance and awkward.

        I'm sure Rick will be along shortly to share his plethora of knowledge.

        Or the Fae as little flutter creatures who have nothing better to do than grant wishes

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Aine of the Fae
          Or the Fae as little flutter creatures who have nothing better to do than grant wishes
          Ah, New Agers influenced by Shakespeare. *shudder*

          banner made by me!

          Childfree and loving it.

          What's this?

          High Priestess of the Googlites

          You actually want to know more about me?
          My LJ

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Verthandi
            Ah, New Agers influenced by Shakespeare. *shudder*
            lol. xD





            Comment


            • #7
              It's all Ralph Blum's fault

              Yes, he invented the blank rune out of thin air, which was pretty much the way he came up with the meanings he associated with each rune. Yet I've seen people give accurate readings using his "system."

              Which pretty much goes to support the idea that divinitory systems are more dependent upon the meanings a given reader assigns than to anything cosmic or universal. (True, there are other factors involved, such as how many living people share the system, etc.)

              So feel free to use the wryd rune or throw it away--whatever floats your longship!

              skol,
              Isaac
              sigpic
              Isaac Bonewits, Adr.Em./ADF ~ "[email protected]"
              http://www.neopagan.net
              Pagan liturgies, weddings, tarot readings, and pontifications available at reasonable rates!

              Comment


              • #8
                Blum's system has no runic value because he used the I Ching to divine the meanings (hehehe... at least he didn't channel them, eh?)... he gets credit for sparking the 'rune revival' in the US, but that's all he gets...

                Now, that said, here's why the 'blank' rune has no meaning... rune energy is generated through sound... when one does galdr (rune magic), one sings (or chants, or speaks) the name(s) or phonetic sound(s) of the rune(s) used. This is the principle of ond, sacred breath, the Breath of Odin.

                What sound is nothing?

                PS... all that zen crap about the tree fallin' in the forest etc doesn't fly north of the Rhein... :hehehehe:
                Administrator
                Moderating Admin & Resident Old Guy


                Battling socialism, crackpotism, communism, extremism, Angels of Punishment & alien invasions since 1968

                Have a & a

                I'll stop eating bacon when they come out with the patch.

                Yellow Dog Moderate

                Rick: I need one of those.
                Elise: You need a tractor with a backhoe & a front loader? What on earth for?
                Rick: To dig holes in the backyard. It's OK, I'd fill 'em back in...

                "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey

                Blut und Boden

                "I often wish that I HAD done drugs in the sixties. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks..."
                Rick the Runesinger

                THE LAW OF THE PACK
                Defend the Pack. Respect the elders.
                Teach the young. Cooperate: know your role.
                Hunt when you must, play when you can, rest in between.
                Devour your enemies. Leave your mark. Voice your feelings.

                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rick
                  Blum's system has no runic value because he used the I Ching to divine the meanings (hehehe... at least he didn't channel them, eh?)... he gets credit for sparking the 'rune revival' in the US, but that's all he gets...

                  Now, that said, here's why the 'blank' rune has no meaning... rune energy is generated through sound... when one does galdr (rune magic), one sings (or chants, or speaks) the name(s) or phonetic sound(s) of the rune(s) used. This is the principle of ond, sacred breath, the Breath of Odin.

                  What sound is nothing?

                  PS... all that zen crap about the tree fallin' in the forest etc doesn't fly north of the Rhein... :hehehehe:

                  The I-Ching to divine the meanings of the Runes? Oh my goodness.... I used to have Ralph Blume's book, but it went beyond irritating me.... I once had a friend ask why I don't read with the blank rune. My response "According to sources it means the unknown, which is covered by other runes (Perdhro being the first that comes to mind) and secondly the reason I'm doing a reading is to discover that which is hidden! I don't need a blank rune to know that there is something hidden!" Also, the way that I read involves tossing my runes into a tray. Some land face down, I pull them and don't read them. A blank rune is always face down, so it would get pulled off the tray anyway.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The value of nothing

                    Originally posted by Aine of the Fae
                    "I don't need a blank rune to know that there is something hidden!"
                    Although, the way I read runes, I pull them out of a bag and lay them in a tarot-like spread pattern. In that case, a blank rune, like the blank tarot card some people use, means "Reply hazy; ask again later!"

                    In other words, sometimes things are so much in flux that no clear divinitory response is possible. It's better to know that for sure than to get a possibly false reassurance or judgement.

                    As for the sound values of the runes, it's quite true that these are very important. An entire "Norse mantra theory" can be built up around them. However, silence is very useful for breathing and/or punctuation...

                    Just stirring things up a bit—don't get Thor!
                    Isaac
                    sigpic
                    Isaac Bonewits, Adr.Em./ADF ~ "[email protected]"
                    http://www.neopagan.net
                    Pagan liturgies, weddings, tarot readings, and pontifications available at reasonable rates!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You use punctuation in magic & divination?!? I stand in awe...
                      Administrator
                      Moderating Admin & Resident Old Guy


                      Battling socialism, crackpotism, communism, extremism, Angels of Punishment & alien invasions since 1968

                      Have a & a

                      I'll stop eating bacon when they come out with the patch.

                      Yellow Dog Moderate

                      Rick: I need one of those.
                      Elise: You need a tractor with a backhoe & a front loader? What on earth for?
                      Rick: To dig holes in the backyard. It's OK, I'd fill 'em back in...

                      "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey

                      Blut und Boden

                      "I often wish that I HAD done drugs in the sixties. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks..."
                      Rick the Runesinger

                      THE LAW OF THE PACK
                      Defend the Pack. Respect the elders.
                      Teach the young. Cooperate: know your role.
                      Hunt when you must, play when you can, rest in between.
                      Devour your enemies. Leave your mark. Voice your feelings.

                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yeah, it's the imaginary rune...but it's useful. Everytime I have hit it, it seems to be an indication of a life-altering event, perhaps karmic, always with an important lesson.
                        Props to Magick Faerie for the beautiful banner, the lady has talent!
                        "Great spirits have always faced violent protest fom mediocre minds."- Albert Einstein
                        " Mom's gonna fix it all soon, Mom's comin' round to put it back the way it ought to be"
                        -Tool. (so learn to swim!)
                        "Reality is just a figment of your hallucination"
                        - bumper sticker
                        And above all *******************
                        "Man is the symbol-using (symbol-making, symbol-mis- using) animal inventor of the negative (or moralized by the negative) separated from his natural condition by instruments of his own making goaded by the spirit of hierarchy (or moved by the sense of order) and rotten with perfection."
                        --The definition of "Human" as so aptly stated by Kenneth Burke.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ibonewits
                          Although, the way I read runes, I pull them out of a bag and lay them in a tarot-like spread pattern. In that case, a blank rune, like the blank tarot card some people use, means "Reply hazy; ask again later!"

                          In other words, sometimes things are so much in flux that no clear divinitory response is possible. It's better to know that for sure than to get a possibly false reassurance or judgement.

                          As for the sound values of the runes, it's quite true that these are very important. An entire "Norse mantra theory" can be built up around them. However, silence is very useful for breathing and/or punctuation...

                          Just stirring things up a bit—don't get Thor!
                          Isaac

                          I have friends that use the blank rune and find it very useful. At this point it's a matter of personal preference, and I just prefer not to use it!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by awyrdone
                            Yeah, it's the imaginary rune...but it's useful. Everytime I have hit it, it seems to be an indication of a life-altering event, perhaps karmic, always with an important lesson.
                            Yes, for me it has been as well. Although, in my case it always indicated a physical death, so I'm not very fond of it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              In the power of the rune cards the authur voenix includes the 24 elder futhark runes and has taken YR from the younger futhark to represent the 25th rune which he also says is the destiny rune sometimes known as WYRD. hmm interesting connection with the letters yr being right in the middle of wyrd and with both of them having a simmular sound. But obviousley there is no hard evidence to back this up. In Robert Page,s book an introduction to english runes he points out a rune which was recorded but no name or meaning was given to it, this rune looks very simmular to gar from the northumbrian runes but the difference being that it has a horizontal line going straight through the middle of it. Could these be the ancient faces of the blank rune? Who knows. Though it probually was an invention by Ralph Blum, but the main thing is that it exists now and it is up to individual choice whether we use it or not.

                              Blessings

                              Hazel witchazel

                              Last edited by Hazel witchazel; February 15th, 2005, 07:53 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X