reverse meanings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reverse meanings

Well I'm not too fond of the idea of reverse meanings. I think it says this will either happen or it won't.. Someone please correct me!

Are you speaking of tarot? It's not always the opposite of the divinatory meanings. Sometimes it signifies the same situation only to a lesser extent. Often, in my readings, I notice it signifies a stagnation or lack of action and movement. It depends on the deck, readers and subject.
    Coming soon
    MyNerdGirl.com My Nerd Girl on myspace
    Find me elsewhere
    Vegan/Vegetarian Exchange

Comment

Reversals can imply, but is not limited to, opposite or oppositional, resistance, diminishment, weakening or weakness.

Comment

ok. this does make sense. I just read that reversals occur when a card is upside-down which also makes sense. Thanks for your help :D

Comment

Originally posted by queenorivers
          ok. this does make sense. I just read that reversals occur when a card is upside-down which also makes sense. Thanks for your help :D
          You weren't aware that reversals occur when a card actually appears reversed within a spread?

Regardless, you do not have to utilize reversals. It is one of the many matters within the occult that is simply a matter of preference. I myself do not use them as I have found the cards convey the appropriate message anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidron
            You weren't aware that reversals occur when a card actually appears reversed within a spread?

Regardless, you do not have to utilize reversals. It is one of the many matters within the occult that is simply a matter of preference. I myself do not use them as I have found the cards convey the appropriate message anyway.
            i'm new to tarot.
            I'm doing a reading for a friend so I will see how it works and choose for myself!

Comment

It will take time for your readings to flow with accuracy and find your comfort zone. I have been reading for 13 years now (I recieved my first deck when I was about 10 and started really working on it at 12). Practice often, try getting people you don't know too much about as practice. Make sure they know you are new to tarot and that they are not 'skeptics' ready to tear you down.
              Coming soon
              MyNerdGirl.com My Nerd Girl on myspace
              Find me elsewhere
              Vegan/Vegetarian Exchange

Comment

Try looking at reversals in context to the rest of the spread. Does it make sense in relation to the cards surrounding it? Would it make the reading flow better in such a way?

Divination is one of those arts where you have to suck it up, shut the book, and go with your gut.

Comment

Originally posted by queenorivers
                  Well I'm not too fond of the idea of reverse meanings. I think it says this will either happen or it won't.. Someone please correct me!
                  Reversals do not have to mean the stark opposite of the upright card. In my case, say, if I receive 10 of Cups reversed (upside down such that X shows at the top of the card), I take it as a minor hiccup in a perfect setting. E.g. lights going out just as you and your family sit together to enjoy a T.V. show. 10 of Cups is such a positive card for me that a reversal can lessen its positivity only a little bit for me. On the other hand, The Devil reversed may mean (to me) somebody totally rebelling and breaking away from a stuck up situation...
                  Best wishes,
                  Moonshine

NOTICE: The Clairvoyant Society will not have its usual meeting this week, due to unforeseen circumstances.

Psychic Predictions | Tarot & Psychic Readings | FREE Pet Psychic Readings | Tarot Spreads

Comment

think of it this way, each of the cards have 2 meanings,

when the card is right side up, you go with the primary meaning behind the symbolism, and when it is reversed, it is not intended to be negative at all, it is simply an indicator to use the secondary meaning and keywords that apply to it....

some cards that we may view as a sign of struggle, that card reversed may actually be good news....
                    11 Year Member
                    Forum Guide for
                    Astrology and the UFO & Extraterrestrial forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Xander67
                      think of it this way, each of the cards have 2 meanings,

when the card is right side up, you go with the primary meaning behind the symbolism, and when it is reversed, it is not intended to be negative at all, it is simply an indicator to use the secondary meaning and keywords that apply to it....

some cards that we may view as a sign of struggle, that card reversed may actually be good news....
                      This is a great way to think of it. I like reversals because I read for a living and they give me more meanings to work with. I feel like they provide me with a more indepth look into the client's situation - more nuances, so to speak. Reversals also provide an effective tool for answering "yes/no" questions.

And yeah, reversed meanings aren't any more negative the upright meanings. In fact, some cards have a more positive meaning when they are reversed than when they are in the upright position.
                      www.erisbarandgrill.com/forum/index.php

www.sssbella.com

Comment

Originally posted by Amber Wynd
                        And yeah, reversed meanings aren't any more negative the upright meanings. In fact, some cards have a more positive meaning when they are reversed than when they are in the upright position.
                        A good example of this would be a reversed 8 of Swords. It is often a card depicted as someone bound and held. While I do not read reversals, I have interpreted it in ways that it could be interpreted by someone who read reversals. For example, it could convey that someone is resistant to being bound, held and restrained. They are fighting back and unwilling to give into the will of baneful forces that are insisting they submit.

Comment

Exactly, the Eight of Swords is a great example of what I was talking about.

Since you don't do reversals, do you rely heavily on the surrounding cards to help you with your interpretations? Or do you go more on intuition? Or both?
                          www.erisbarandgrill.com/forum/index.php

www.sssbella.com

Comment

10 of Cups reversed is telling you to make a wish. I don't use reversals much, when one appears I think it indicates the disuse or misuse of attributes associated with the card. I also think it can mean something that is just beginning to emerge and is not yet in the awareness of the querent. When reversals appear in a relationship reading, I interpret them as being for the other and the uprights for the querent. Each card has an essence, up, down, sideways or backwards, the essence never changes.

Cheryl
                            "There is no cry of pain without, at its end, an echo of joy. --RamŮŽn de Campoamor (Spanish poet, 1817-1901)

http://www.tarotcanada.ca

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FutureEndeavours - quarterly newsletter archive.

Comment

Originally posted by Amber Wynd
                              Since you don't do reversals, do you rely heavily on the surrounding cards to help you with your interpretations? Or do you go more on intuition? Or both?
                              Both, plus the nuances and details of the individual cards themselves that stand out at that particular time.

Comment

Working...
                              X