Reversed or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reversed or not?

I know some people prefer to use the reversed meanings of a card, if said card happens to be drawn upside down. Wanting to be more realistic with my deck, I've tried to use the reversed meanings...but sometimes I get the feeling it's not right.

I can't tell if it's just me not wanting to see the bad things about myself and my life, or if I truly shouldn't be using the reversed meanings. I've always used the Arthurian Legend Tarot. I love it, and it's definately a great deck for me. I feel very connected.

What are the general thoughts on reversed readings?

Celtique

The Dark Maiden

"I did not invent this game. I did not name the stakes. I just happen to like apples, and I'm not afraid of snakes."

[QUOTE=Celtique]I know some people prefer to use the reversed meanings of a card, if said card happens to be drawn upside down...(snip)...

I was taught to let the cards fall where they will. Reverse meanings have alot to offer when viewed with your question/subject in mind.

If I find a problem where something doesn't seem right, I will put the cards down and pick them up later on. Personally I would never leave out the reverse meanings, they have had meaning in every reading I have done for others. If you are doing them for yourself, some believers don't recommend it. I am not saying you shouldn't but sometimes it is the hardest thing to do, read for oneself.

As for myself, if I try to read for myself, I do a simple 3 card spread or a 1 card draw. Anything else and my mind roams in too many directions at once!

Well that's my own take on it, and I would be interested in hearing what others have to say as well. Thanks for the question.

Blessings,
    Merry

Comment

To reflect the balance in the universe, or tao, I use card reversals. I first go through the deck and make sure all the cards are pointed in the same 'upright' direction. Next, I shuffle the deck a few times. Then I take the top half of the deck, and rotate it to 'reverse'. After that, I shuffle about five times to mix the upright and reverse cards.

...edit: oh, and I view each card as containing 'positive' and 'negative' meanings. There are no inherently "bad" cards to me.
      Last edited by PeatBog; May 27th, 2006, 12:29 PM.

Comment

For me, each card already has a reverse meaning 'built in'. I use the placement and correspondences of the other cards to help me figure out what meaning is meant to be taken, and work it in. It really comes down to interpretation. Everyone has a bit of a different style!

"Home is behind, the world ahead,
        And there are many paths to tread
        Through shadows to the edge of night,
        Until the stars are all alight."
        J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

I use the Thoth deck, which, is not meant for reversals. The Thoth deck's 'reversal' system works primarily by the elements surrounding the card. If the elements surrounding are opposing then you would use the 'reverse' meaning. Also, I would look at the vibe and the position of the card. If a good card falls in the 'negativity in your life' slot, then I would interpret the negative effects of the card. If a bad card falls in the 'positivity in your life' slot, then I would interpret the positive effects of the card. Part of it is also your intuition.

Comment

I learned to read using reversals, but right now I'm trying to learn to use Elemental Dignities instead.
            What you do is examine how the card interrelates with it's position and the elements. It's interesting. Still trying to wrap my head around some elements...

http://www.supertarot.co.uk/lessons/12four.htm
            http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread...ntal+dignities
            http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread...ntal+dignities
            Last edited by Zephyrstorm; May 27th, 2006, 01:49 PM.
            Each man performs his service to the Holy according to what he is, not according to what he is not; after all, the sacrifice must not surpass the proper measure of the worshiper. - Iamblichus

Comment

Originally posted by Celtique
              I know some people prefer to use the reversed meanings of a card, if said card happens to be drawn upside down. Wanting to be more realistic with my deck, I've tried to use the reversed meanings...but sometimes I get the feeling it's not right.

I can't tell if it's just me not wanting to see the bad things about myself and my life, or if I truly shouldn't be using the reversed meanings. I've always used the Arthurian Legend Tarot. I love it, and it's definately a great deck for me. I feel very connected.

I first learned to read without using reversals, but I'm more comfortable with them than without. Any time I feel like the traditional meaning of a reversed card (or even an upright card) doesn't quite fit the situation or person I'm reading, then I draw a clarification card. If that still doesn't do it, I draw another and keep doing that until it feels right.

Reversed meanings aren't always more negative than upright ones, though. In fact, there are several cards that I read as more positive in the reversed position. It's pretty much up to the reader to decide which style of reading works the best for them. And you can always read without reversals for now and then change your mind later on if you want to.
              www.erisbarandgrill.com/forum/index.php

www.sssbella.com

Comment

I have always used the reverse meanings. I find that I get a better feel for the reading that way. My deck can be a bit complicated (The grand etellia) but it's worth it!
                Starlight*Rains
                My mood today:

Owner of the Help Find Missing Children Forum Anyone welcome!!! Please bear with me as it is brand new but my intentions are good. See you there!

Children are the essence of pure love...Show them every day just how much you love them!

Thank you Faeawyn for my beautiful banner

Help Find Missing Children Forum

http://myspace.com/second2none2006

http://world5.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=59023394

http://world5.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=59062847

Comment

My deck, Revelations, is meant for reversals, with elaborate, intertwined pictures for both upright and reversed cards. This makes reading reversals simpler for the beginner (which fits me to a T). It also has fairly intuitive pictures for both upright and reversed. If a card doesn't seem to "fit" - whether upright or reversed - I make a note of it to study later. This happens to me at times whether reversed or not, as I'm still a beginner at this sorta thing.

But my deck helps a /lot/ in the general understanding of reversals - it makes it just as intuitive as reading the upright positions, as many reversals aren't the "opposite" of the upright, but rather, just a weakened or somewhat twisted cousin to it.
                  ~ Dream your life and live your dreams. ~

Comment

A while ago (probably a couple of years) I decided I would do an experiment with reversals. Up until that point I always used reversals. What I did was try using a deck without reversals for a while to see if it made a difference in the accuracy of my readings. It didn't.

I do still use reversals with some of my decks. Mostly because they are already reversed & I'm too lazy to set them all upright. But either way, my readings come out just fine.

You may want to try a month of readings with and a month without reversals and see which is more comfortable for you. Keep a journal of your readings and impressions to help you make your decision later. Read for yourself & for others. If you're reading for friends, you can tell them that you're doing an experiment to see how it works out. However, I wouldn't recommend reading for the same question with each method. That level of comparison probably isn't necessary.

Good luck!
                    :fpraise: All hail the mighty SEARCH function! :fpraiseyo

See the completed cards from the MW Tarot Project @ the link below:

If "a gentle touch speaks volumes" imagine what a bitch-slap can do! ~ me

Comment

Thank you everyone for the replies. They were exactly what I was looking for. I think I will expirament with reversals, using them and not, to see which works best. I am rather new to Tarot, so perhaps I simply need more practice before I can determine the problem. I really appreciate the help!

Celtique

The Dark Maiden

"I did not invent this game. I did not name the stakes. I just happen to like apples, and I'm not afraid of snakes."

Comment

Originally posted by Celtique
                        For me it depends entirely on the deck. Some outright demand that reversals be used (like my Thoth) while others it doesn't matter with (like my Arthurian and Osho).

However, when I read reversals I don't read that as the 'reverse' of the upright meaning. Rather it's a blockage of the upright meaning, or an unknown inflance....usually something the person is ignoring.
                        The Sexy Heathen Babe

Comment

Working...
                        X