Clear All

• Tarot Card Study - the 4's

4 of Wands
    4 of Swords
    4 of Cups
    4 of Pentacles

Emperor
    Death
    (and maybe if you really stretch the idea, you can make it fit #22 / 0 - Fool)
    Please put pictures of your favorite versions of these cards if you have them. They can all be from the same deck or different decks. If you have more than one favorite, feel free to post all of them! Part of the fun of this will be showing off our decks and the fun for others will be seeing the images!

Please discuss why this / these are your fave version(s) of the particular card. What in the card speaks the most to you? How does it relate to the other #4 cards? Can you see the Emperor or Death card in the minors? The suits in the Majors? Does looking @ the cards in this way change your perspectives?

How would you interpret this card in different types of readings? What is your most frequent interpretation of this card, or what is your keyword or phrase for it?
    :fpraise: All hail the mighty SEARCH function! :fpraiseyo

See the completed cards from the MW Tarot Project @ the link below:

If "a gentle touch speaks volumes" imagine what a bitch-slap can do! ~ me

Once again, from astrology-numerology.com (keep in mind these are mostly personality traits).

4 Positive Traits: Strong sense of order and values, struggle against limits, steady growth, highly practical, scientific mind, attention to detail, foundation for achievement, a genius for organization, fine management skills.

4 Negative Traits: Lack of imagination, caught up in detail, stubborn fixed opinions, argumentative, slow to act, too serious, confused.

Comment

This is my very favorite version of the 4 of Wands. From the World Spirit Tarot. And the Death card from the Witches Tarot by Ellen Cannon Reed and again, the Death card from World Spirit Tarot.
      Last edited by LisaT4P; February 19th, 2007, 10:51 PM.

Comment

The 4 of Pents from the Whimsical Tarot tells the story of the dog who dropped his bone beautifully.

Comment

I'm gonna paint my death tommorow- then I'll post!

Comment

Ok I had to do lots of research when I first started tarot, and now I'm going back and looking again at my research. I have added some new information and am going to try to explain my thinking.

One concept that I thought was interesting in my study was since all sephirot at reflections of the One "Pure light of Kether" and all other sephirot are reflections of the ONE, that they are somehow diminished. However, according to my favorite Chicken Qabalahist DuQuette that isn't the case. I quote, "The light of Kether is One. It is pure consciousness. Its radiance never diminishes. The nine Sephirot beneath it simply separate and filter the light. This trickle-down consciousness, not some mythological fruit-eating incident, is the real 'Fall of Man'".

The fours relate to Chesed the reflected father. It is Mercy on the pillar of Mercy. It is also called cohesive or receptive Intelligence because it contains all the Holy Powers. It is also called Gedula, Love and Majesty and it is not hard to see how this would also relate to the IV Emperor. It is interpreted as the expressed father, paternal, organized, and authoritative.

Thus my groundwork for the interpretations of the cards. I will be using some of Dion Fortune's work here also.

Four of Wands-Chesed manifesting through air. Mind in the sphere of cohesion. Four people carrying wands/staves are heading down the same path even though there are other paths to take. The divine light is shining on their heads. With the overall theme of four as cohesion then one has to interpret this to mean that they are all on the same page here. "Of like mind" is important here. There is agreement both mentally and spiritually, that the path they are on is the correct one. It would also appear that the divine being agrees with the choice and has guided them to this choice.

Four of Swords-Chesed Manifesting through fire; action/will in the sphere of order. A person is placing four swords in a square pattern. With the overall theme of cohesion in mind, I interpret this card to mean bringing all the pieces into a cohesive whole. Getting it together. Making a something from the patterns. It is the ordering of things whether physically or mentally, which will make it useful.

Four of Cups-Chesed manifesting through water; Emotions/intuition in the sphere of the Ancient ones. It is a starlit night; three people are standing in facing a fourth. There is an emotional charge in the air. The three are holding cups with one person handing a cup to the fourth. Into the cup being handed to the fourth are falling the stars from the sky. With the overall theme of cohesion, this means to me that they are welcoming someone into the whole. Maybe an initiation. This also imparts the action of sharing some cosmic information/truth that provides the cohesive substance that includes the person into the whole. As this is in the element of water all these things have a heavy emotional significance. I could go on forever here. One interpretation also adds forgiveness into the mix, and this seems appropriate as sometimes there is ceremony when a prodigal returns to the fold.

Four of Cups-Chesed manifesting through earth; the physical in the sphere of expansion. The card shows a nice country plantation and grounds with a fenced yard that's construction includes four pentacles. There are children playing in the yard. This is the card of material security. You've made a cohesive life, and the benefits keep expanding. I don't generally interpret this as only material wealth as much as a general comfort in this world. This would indicate that your physical health is good and you are getting to the point of being comfortable with the way things are headed. You are expanding into those areas that make you a happy camper. You are growing into you proper archetype.

IV The Emperor-This is a regal male figure dressed in a gold robe with a red cape. He holds a scepter with an Aries sign on it. OH Mars thou are the epitome of male prowess and wisdom. That is the power of this card. The wisdom of beauty and the beauty of wisdom. The Qabalistic path flowing between Chokmah and Tifareth. This would be interpreted to mean a benevolent male figure will be entering your life to give you the information that you need. This will be a strong fatherly figure, but he may not be your father. You should be seeking out this wisdom if you aren't already.

XIII Death-This is a black-robed skeleton carrying a double-bladed scythe. It is being borne by a multitude of people with some even wearing crowns. A clear indication that death is no respecter of persons. The beauty of victory; the victory of beauty. This is the path of the Dark Nights of the Soul. The path is between Tifareth the Sphere of Emotion, of Victory, of Force, to Netzach the Sphere of Illumination, Beauty, Harmony, the sun. This is interpreted to be a death to the personality by Gareth Knight in Practical Guide to Qabalistic Symbolism, and that is just the way I would interpret it. You are having a victory at the expense of your personality which will be drastically changed as a result of a hard fight. To me this equates to someone experiencing a near death experience which changes their life. Now I'm not saying that this is what will happen to the querent, but something is in the process of dying and to be replace by a thing of beauty. I don't typically do reversal interpretation, but it seems appropriate here, as this path flows both ways. It is possible to take a thing of beauty, harmony and illumination, and through a need for victory, or force or negative emotion destroy it. That would be the realm of the reversal to me. The destruction of beauty through negative behavior.

I'm done no chance of adding another card here. No fool I. Maybe later.
            Last edited by Shatril; February 20th, 2007, 02:17 PM.

Ask, believe, receive. Thoughts become things!
            I've made it a point not to regret anything I've done, there is no point in it because you can't change it~~RunningRiot
            democracy is a failed system, people are just too stupid to realise their votes never matter anymore~~Valnorran

Comment

okay, the fours.

Four of cups. over reaching, ignoring what you have for a false thing, an illusion.

Four of Swords. a forced rest, a period of stasis. exaustion.

Four of Wands. focusing on the details, to the exclusion of the big picture.

four of pentacles. the miser card. one who is grasping for stability.

Fours represent reaching, striving to me.the cups, reaching for a new target of your heart, Coins for more money, Wands, well, trying to controll minutae, Swords, exaustion (from all that reaching)

The emperor.
              physical dominance- temporal power. this could be you, controlling the world around you as if by divine right, or could represent a person (probabally male) who is in control.

Death. change, and the peace it brings. inevatability. usually means an inner "death" - a change on an inner level (as opposed to the tower, which is more violent and abrupt- and involves others)

As promised, here's my death card:

Comment

Taliesyn that card is beautiful. I really like the imagery. I can see that you have depicted your interpretation very well. It would be an easy card to read. Thanks for sharing. If you ever get to the point that you are ready to publish them I would love to buy one from you.

Shatril

I've made it a point not to regret anything I've done, there is no point in it because you can't change it~~RunningRiot
                democracy is a failed system, people are just too stupid to realise their votes never matter anymore~~Valnorran

Comment

thanks alot, Shatril- I am honored by your post. I put my soul into these cards- I may get them published- but if not, I'll print you a deck on cardstock

(i'm especally proud of the Owl feathers on death's Hoop staff....)

Comment

Taliesyn, I like your Death card a lot - especially the crown half-buried in the snow. Death and change effect us all, commoners and kings alike. It's a great and significant detail.
                    :cheers:

Comment

Absolutley beautiful card, Taliesyn! I echo Shatril's & Glory's comments.

Shatril, WOW! You continue to floor me with your interpretations. I think I'll have to read it another time or two to absorb it all. You are a scholar and I bow to your knowledge and scholarliness! :fpraise:

Comment

Okay, I decided to take a shot at this... I'm pretty new, and my interpretations are probably pretty standard. I read from the Rider Waite deck.

The four of pentacles is a card that has been on my mind recently. I did the chakra reading myself and this card came up in the position of the crown chakra. To me this card is all about needing a leap of faith, because if you do not take a chance, you will be where you are for as long as it takes. In terms of money, being risky may pay off, here. In love, you should take a leap and ask out that girl or have that talk with your husband, or no progression will be made. In terms of spirit, questions you may have need to be answered now, or you will be paralyzed and unable to progress. It depends on where this card places in a reading, of course, but because it's a pentacle card, it will probably be more inclined towards wealth and physicality, but I believe it can apply for all aspects.

The four of cups. To me this card is all about not knowing what you have, because you're being too inward, emotionally. I think this card indicates that you're stuck on something, a negative feeling, whether that's a grudge or a rut, and it's showing you that if you just let it go and allow yourself to feel content, you'll see there is much more going for you than you may realise.

The four of swords tells me to stop and think. The sword is a symbol of intellect, and the restful image of this card makes it quite clear to me that in times of great movement and change, you have to just stop and think, re-evaluate the situation. It's a time for intellectual peace.

The four of wands to me is about the rewards you can now reap after the work has been done. It's time to rest your tools of labor, wear a nice dress and have some fun! It's a positive card that encourages you to reap the rewards of your work - spend some money on yourself, on your friends, take time out to kick back and watch a movie. Take a chance to enjoy life before you have to get up and work again. A positive card indeed!

And now for the Majors...

Death is not only change, it's inevitable change. No matter who you are, what you do, if you're a good or bad person, change will come. This indicates difficult change, usually the ending of something that will in turn begin again. The Rider Waite deck shows a grim reaper on a white horse, women, children, men and holy figures succumbing to him with varying degrees of willingness. I like the representation of the people, but I don't think the grim reaper really is an appropriate symbol - a phoenix is a better way to represent this card, I feel.

The Emperor is "male" strength. He is a father figure, albeit a stern one. He represents physical fulfillment in terms of wealth and careers. He is one of the four things I feel equals to completion - he, the Empress, the Hierophant and the High Priestess are four aspects of all of us, and for marks in our journey as people. The Emperor reflects a time in our life when we really want to make something of ourself in the physical world.

Let me know what you think, I'm pretty new.

Comment

Originally posted by Glory View Post
                          Let me know what you think, I'm pretty new.
                          Hey I think you did a great job. Good insights on those cards. Glad you decided to take a chance. Glad you are joining us.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaT4P View Post
                            You are a scholar and I bow to your knowledge and scholarliness! :fpraise:
                            I'm old, and I read a lot. I love research into the occult divination activities. However, the problem is that it is just that "book larning". I need lots more practice with the readings. I wouldn't want to try to do a reading for someone that was expecting expertise at the reading; that is your forte, but I'm learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Shatril View Post
                              Hey I think you did a great job. Good insights on those cards. Glad you decided to take a chance. Glad you are joining us.
                              Thank you very much, Shatril.

Comment

Working...
                              X