Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes a professional tarot reading professional?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a professional tarot reading professional?

I've never had a professional reading before, I only know that where I live, professional tarot readings are very expensive, and courses that train 'professional' tarot reading are even more pricely. So, here's the question: what can a professional tarot reader do that a 'lay' tarot reader can't? For example, I know there are a lot of great tarot readers here at MW who do read for others out of generosity. If those readers (I mean those who read but weren't professionally trained) wanted to, can they pull off a professional reading? And also, what are the basic elements to a professional reading?

Just wondering...

Nect
    "Man did not weave the web of life - he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself."

-- Chief Seattle, 1854.

Nect, it has always been my understanding that when someone calls themself a professional tarot reader, it's because their state or local government regulates them in some, usually small way, even if it is just to make them get a business license and a DBA. I don't mean they license them to do what they do, only that they make them pay business taxes, etc. In places where it is not regulated in any way, I suppose anyone could just call themself a pro and set up shop. I think to say you are a professional tarot card reader really just means you get paid for it.

Of course, those are the people I am weary of. I only trust people to do readings for me if they are passionate enough about it to love doing it and not taking money for it. But that's another thread I think it's most important to find a person you trust no matter what their label or fee.

"The Triple Goddess as Maiden, Mother and Crone, is a relatively new concept which was made popular during the 20th century. Hekate is today most often equated to the Crone aspect of this triplicate archetypal image, but this idea of Hekate as Crone Goddess is one which would have been completely alien to the people of ancient Greece. The only possible explanation for the continued association today is that somehow the darker, scarier aspects of Hekate has been equated to wisdom in old age, which is, when you think about it rather ludicrous." -- Sorita D'Este. Read more in the book: Hekate: Keys to the Crossroads.

Comment

But to answer your question, I think the only thing a pro tarot reader can do that I can't is get paid for it.

"The Triple Goddess as Maiden, Mother and Crone, is a relatively new concept which was made popular during the 20th century. Hekate is today most often equated to the Crone aspect of this triplicate archetypal image, but this idea of Hekate as Crone Goddess is one which would have been completely alien to the people of ancient Greece. The only possible explanation for the continued association today is that somehow the darker, scarier aspects of Hekate has been equated to wisdom in old age, which is, when you think about it rather ludicrous." -- Sorita D'Este. Read more in the book: Hekate: Keys to the Crossroads.

Comment

I'm sure you could if you wanted to

But I agree entirely with what you said Mithrea. That's how I understand it too.

Comment

I agree. i think the professional, who's doing it because he or she needs the money, may not be as good, because constantly reading for strangers with overwhelming vibes that walk into your space probably wears you down.
          "It is a good divine that follows his own instructions."
          Portia,
          Merchant of Venice, I.2

"If making oatmeal cookies with bugs instead of raisins is wrong, then I don't want to be right" - Bucky Katt

Comment

I would rather go to someone who does it and does not charge,
            and know they are doing it out of sincerity and a desire to help.
            a TRUE light worker will seldom ask for a fee, but would often accept and appreciate a gift given in appreciation for thier work!
            Last edited by Xander67; June 7th, 2002, 11:45 PM.
            11 Year Member
            Forum Guide for
            Astrology and the UFO & Extraterrestrial forums.

Comment

by any other name.....

All 'professional' really means is that you get paid for the service you perform.

Of course, intrinsic in that statement is an understanding that they are charging because they have a background in what they do. It doesn't mean they are licensed to do what they do. Despite what the American Tarot Association is trying to do, no one can be certified to read cards, and not being certified does not mean you cannot read cards.

A professional should be able to read the cards without having to stop and refer to a book. They should be able to explain what they are saying in different ways to help you understand the information they are trying to tell you. They are flexible with their meanings...meaning that a certain card can be read many ways and not only 'one' way. They should tailor they interpretation to suit you, and be able to simplify things as necessary.

A professional should be able to take your questions without feeling as though you are challanging 'their authority'.

Remember, there are no 'absolutes'. If a reader does not tell you about something you did not ask, it is not a reflection of their talent.
              "I'm NOT making this up, you know!" -- Tarotbear <):-)

Off his buns and on a roll.....

Comment

Well, I agree and don't agree. First I have no problem paying for a reading, even though I can do one myself. Second I don't think that just because someone gives a free reading they are more special than someone that charges. No matter the gift, there is a value to the time someone uses to do a reading. And I have no problem with paying someone to share their gift with me. They dont' owe it to me for free. I've had excellent professional readings.

While yes Tarot reading isn't regulated in my state at least, I do think that there is more to a professional reading than just charging. A professional reader doesn't just say this card means this and that card means that by rote. They are able to tell a story by reading the cards in a way that makes sense. They don't expect the querant to fingure it out on their own. In my experience they also are able to give definate answers that a hobby tarot reader often can't.

I can say that I really didn't know there was a difference until I found my first truly gifted reader. I now have much higher standards than ever before and I learned alot about reading cards from him too.

Comment

Arduinna, it sounds to me like you have been very lucky. There are plenty of people out there who call themselves professionals who can't or don't do what you are talking about.

And also, I disagree that what you want from a reading is what everyone should or does want. You seem to want the reader to tell you things about yourself and situation. When I get a reading, I want the reader to tell me only what they see. When they get too specific, then it almost always goes awry. Plus, I have heard far too many stories about "pro" readers who go so specific, they totally waste everyones time and money by being wrong. I think there was a post like that just a few days ago.

I think the Tarot is a tool only to help you figure it out for yourself. The Tarot can't give you the answers, it can only help you discover the answers that are already there.

Comment

All I can say is that hasn't been my experience. In fact I don't even ask this reader questions usually, I just have him tell me whatever the cards think I need to know. I think my satisfaction comes from his superior ability and my lack of expectation.

oh and I don't believe in luck. I find what I need when I'm ready for it.

Comment

Well, I agree and don't agree. First I have no problem paying for a reading, even though I can do one myself. Second I don't think that just because someone gives a free reading they are more special than someone that charges. No matter the gift, there is a value to the time someone uses to do a reading. And I have no problem with paying someone to share their gift with me. They dont' owe it to me for free. I've had excellent professional readings.
                      I totally agree with this. If someone has a gift and they chose to share it, it is their choice if they want to charge for it. To me, it is the same as being in the crafts business--if you can knit, why not get paid for it? (Strange analogy, but same premise.)

I've had amazing readings from both paid and non-paid readers. I'm a reader myself and have given freebies to those who truly needed one, however, if I had the means, I would be charging for my services as well.

I have a friend who could basically quit 2 of her 4 jobs if she wanted just by the amount of psychic fairs and parties that she does! She's an incredible reader but since she has to travel and take a number of hours to do her work, she charges a fee.

While I agree that it is hard to find a reputable reader--and those 900#'s folks have done us no justice whatsoever--I don't agree with condemning all those who charge. If we have found something that we do and can do it well, it is not only a gift, but a skill.

We are all put here for something, for some it is the answer to where this month's rent will come from.

A suggestion on finding a good reader would be to check with those you know who are also into readings and find out if they've had success with anyone local. You may also want to check a local bookstore or "new age" shop. Word of mouth is great for this kind of thing.

~~*Just a humble short witch's opinion.*~~

----------->:hairred:<-------------
                      Say it with me: Peace, Prosperity, Persistance.
                      THOUGHT = ENERGY = HOPE

Classic Flar: have to go asphyxiate clown
                      SMILE! Irving loves you.
                      HURRICANE PET HELP: Don't Forget The Pet!!!~~ Petfinder: Hurricane Site

Procrastinate Now, Don't Put It Off--Ellen DeG.

Jesus loves pipe-cleaners.
                      Wtchy's Mood: I didn't mean to break Ernesto!

Comment

Working...
                      X