Devil card in deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devil card in deck

I'm new to tarot reading, and am a little confused on having a devil card in my deck. I don't believe that a supremely evil enity exists, so having one in my deack throws me off a bit. Should I just take it out and toss it? Or does this card have a deeper meaning than just the Devil? Thanks!*S*
    I am greatful for the day, the sun, and life, but can't Mr. Right hurry up and get here?
    You hear that, Mr. Billy Boyd?

Hmmm.... I usually see the Devil as being too materialistic and being stuck in a rut.

Here's what Joan Bunning has to say on the Devil:

http://www.learntarot.com/maj15.htm

Comment

I relate this card to Hades, as in the story about Persephone spending 6 months underground and 6 months above. In my deck, this card is called the Underworld. I don't believe in the devil either, so I like the visual better of Hades.

FaeRain
      Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
      Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
      Begin it now.
      Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

Comment

I copied this definition off of a website that I frequent:

The Devil card symbolizes letting those parts of yourself that have been repressed or shamed out of the closet... this card is reminding you to face your shadow stuff... We are conditioned to mistrust passionate desires and basic instincts, because we are afraid that we might go too far, slipping into hedonism or addiction... we need to outgrow fearful inhibitions placed upon our personalities and self-expression. In every generation there have been those who push these limits. They may have been demonized in their time, but later generations understood the honesty, courage and healing power of their daring. (http://www.tarot-cards-online.com/ww...tarot_card.htm)

Also check: http://www.geocities.com/athens/acro...2/tarot/15.htm

Comment

Thanks!*S* I'm thinking of getting a new deck because when I got mine it was the only one there. Oh, and how do people but the cute little emoticons in their messages. I really like the green one jumping up and down.*L*
          I am greatful for the day, the sun, and life, but can't Mr. Right hurry up and get here?

Comment

:D You should have a little box next to the reply text box (if you don't, go to PROFILE, EDIT OPTIONS, under the OTHER OPTIONS (at the very bottom), make sure the Use vBCode quick links on your message input screens? selection has YES selected)

Otherwise, under the reply text box, there is a little green box that says "Forum Rules", if you click on where it says SMILIES, you'll get a page that shows all the smiley codes.

Comment

It's easy to misjudge tarot cards whose image is vivid and 'clear' (well, at least to the new reader), especially the Major Arcana that has a name to it. But this hinders your reading greatly because the tarot deck is about tapping into the unknown, and that takes you to deve into its depths to find the actual meaning that pertains to the querent.

You mentioned that it puts you off a bit (and you asked if you should toss it out), but I think that is the beauty of the tarot - its dark and light aspects, it tells you about the querent's life, which is a reality not sugar-coated. For example, when I read for myself, I hardly see cards that I "YAY!" about, I'm more like, "No, you again." But that's the reality check.

Instead of reading into the title of the card, in this case "The Devil", read into what the devil means to you. It puts you off, but why does it? You mentioned that you do not believe in a supremely evil entity, so is that what "The Devil" means to you, a surpremely evil being? If so, what aspects would you attribute to a supremely evil entity (whether it exists or not is besides the point, but what you *think* this entity would embody *should* it exist)?

These are just sample questions, of course.

Another thing that I find useful when I read is to steer away from the focus of the card for a few moments and evaluate its surroundings: the color scheme - what mood does it symbolize to you?; any animals? how do they look like and what do they seem to be conveying?; any plants? If you an recognize the plant, you can look up what this plant is traditionally related to - e.g. is it traditionally used for exorcism, healing, love, etc. There are so many details in a card because I think they serve as the elements that elaborate on the main image.

I hope that helped a little!

Nect
              "Man did not weave the web of life - he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself."

-- Chief Seattle, 1854.

Comment

Nect~~~~

What bothers me is that there are two people chained to the devil. It sybolizes to me that "people" can become the property of another being, makes me a little uneasy. I like the idea of an "underworld" card. Thanks for the advice!*S*

Comment

Thanks! Now I can use those neat little faces.*S*:D

Comment

Originally posted by FireryWings
                    Nect~~~~

What bothers me is that there are two people chained to the devil. It sybolizes to me that "people" can become the property of another being, makes me a little uneasy. I like the idea of an "underworld" card. Thanks for the advice!*S*
                    To me, that symbolizes the bondage, and I guess....being chained to material things. To me, in today's world, what you have shows how high up you are viewed in the world, not necessarily how much money you have, or your happiness... *shrugs*

Comment

If you 'toss' the card you will be destroying your deck.

Tarot is a world of illuminations and shadows, joy & bitterness, beauty and ugliness. If you were to toss this card, or any card you don't 'like' or understand, you are missing a great deal of points in why they are there.

There are many other tarot decks that have glossed over or changed the Devil into something else. Perhaps you would find the Robin Wood deck where the image has been totally changed. Ms. Wood is Pagan and pagans don't believe in a Devil ; it's images might be better suited to you.

You have a lot to learn about Tarot. Sometimes Tarot shows us our greatest fears and trials. Sometimes Tarot tells what we have to know, not what 'we want to hear.' Sometimes these revelations are NOT pretty. We use Tarot to learn how to overcome them. We don't throw out stuff we don't like until we find something we "do." Tarot is not like chosing to wear a red shirt today because we wore a blue one yesterday. Tarot is a system, and you should learn to use it, rather than manipulate it to suit yourself without knowing why.
                      Last edited by tarotbear; December 12th, 2002, 02:54 PM.
                      "I'm NOT making this up, you know!" -- Tarotbear <):-)

Off his buns and on a roll.....

Comment

You're very welcome!

Again, by reading two people chained to the devil as literally two people chained to the devil, you have just overlooked the very purpose of tarot-reading - tarot is about (like I said in my previous post) reading into the unknown, not stating the obvious. In this case, you should be asking yourself questions such as: what does the image of two people chained together and chained to the devil mean to me? Does it mean bondage, as Flaire mentioned? If so, what kind of bondage is this? Material? Emotional? But that's up to you to answer yourself.

As tarotbear said, tossing out a card destroys a deck. For example, take a deck of playing cards - say I dislike the card 8 hearts (for whatever reason), thus I remove it. What do you think this would do to the deck? It would disable it, and all the games played with this deck would be incomplete because I have removed the chance of 8 hearts to appear at all. And the same applies to a tarot deck, only worse (to me, at least) because you are attempting to acquire information about the querent's life.

So try your best to look past the obvious and/or image(s) that disturb you and reach for something deeper, beyond.

Hope that helped! :D

Nect
                        "Man did not weave the web of life - he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself."

-- Chief Seattle, 1854.

Comment

What an interesting discussion. And very good advise can be found here FireryWings. Everyone has already covered what I wanted to add! But here's something for you to think about.

When I started reading I did a celtic cross layout for myself. I was wondering if we were actually going to be able to purchase the property we live on. I don't remember all the cards at this time (it's all in my journal though) but I do remember the last card - the one that gives the most likely outcome. It was THE DEVIL. It shocked me. Sometimes I still think about it and wonder about the meaning and if there is something deeper there than what I saw.

What I saw was that we would be able to purchase the property and therefore we will be bound to the land, not only by monthly payments, but by the responsibilites of being a land owner, oh and not to mention the taxes, and the list goes on and on.

If your DEVIL is in the Rider-Waite deck (which is what I use) I ask you to look at those chains closely. Those chains and very loose and I imagine that if those folks chained to that block wanted to they could just slip that chain right over their head and be free! See what I'm getting at? In the case I mentioned above, that's showing that we are willingly choosing to step into the "bondange" of purchasing the property. Just as in any other case where someone may need to rid themselves of a certain aspect of their life.

Comment

Witchy Cowgirl~~~

Thanks...that makes sense. I'm new to the tarot and wanted to ask a few questions. Ya'll are great, I'm glad I found this site so that I can find answers to my questions.

Comment

New Deck!!

I finally got a new deck. It's called Tarot of a Moon Garden. I't has beautiful drawings with lots of plants, faries, and unicorns. The devil card looks more like a beast/dragon and the people are faces that peak out from behind it like they are hiding and the beast has the chain in it's claws. The pictures look like watercolors and have soft and vivd colors. I just love it! :D But thanks for the infor about the devil card!:shift:

Blessed Be!

Comment

Working...
                              X