There's more to it than I thought.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's more to it than I thought.

I was kinda drawn to Tarot and of course interested or I never would've started reading.
    My Mama-in-law tells me I good and that means alot to me cause shes been having readings done for most of her life. She's been to countless readers.
    I did a reading for someone on line and they told me I was so on target it was scary.
    Recently I did a reading for a RL friend. I've only know her for 3 months or so and really don't know alot about her. I used the Celtic Cross and the card in position 1 was the 10 OF SWORDS. I explained it to her and told her I felt it showed that she felt like a victim or somehow used when it came to her marriage and divorce.
    THE SIX OF CUPS was in position 2. I told her I could tell that she'd always put her family and others above her own needs and this was another thing that hurt so badly about the divorce.

Now, I did this reading without her her and I e-mailed it to her. We discussed it the next day. She told me that she was an abused wife and that the X had been "mean" to the kids. Then she told me some of the things he'd done to her and that she did everything for him - even ran his bath water.

There's been other readings I've done that we're like this, where the cards showed stuff about folks that I had no idea of - but this reading opened my eyes to the fact that there's more to this than I thought. It makes me think....and wonder if I want to continue doing this....I really love to read, but this kinda worries me.
    Someone give me some advise. PLEASE!
    Last edited by Witchy Cowgirl; December 17th, 2002, 08:08 AM.

Witchy, maybe I'm missing something. Are you saying you don't want to read because you are so accurate?

"The Triple Goddess as Maiden, Mother and Crone, is a relatively new concept which was made popular during the 20th century. Hekate is today most often equated to the Crone aspect of this triplicate archetypal image, but this idea of Hekate as Crone Goddess is one which would have been completely alien to the people of ancient Greece. The only possible explanation for the continued association today is that somehow the darker, scarier aspects of Hekate has been equated to wisdom in old age, which is, when you think about it rather ludicrous." -- Sorita D'Este. Read more in the book: Hekate: Keys to the Crossroads.

Comment

Power and responsibility

Dear Witchy-

I understand your concerns very well; you feel that somehow you are becoming too privy to details you wish you didn't know. What this means is that your intuition and psychism are developing along with building your gift. It is a frightening thing when the most awful thing pops into your head, you dismiss it as too far-fetched or disgusting to be real, and then you find out you 'hit the nail on the head.'

The truth of the matter is you were given that enlightenment for a reason, even if you don;t understand it at that moment. Perhaps your friend has been in denial or worse and you were given the clarity to 'confront' her ( not in a threatening way) so that she could see the situation as a whole.

With this ability comes a great responsibility, something that those who only 'dabble' in tarot will never face - and that is the knowledge of revealing or not revealing what you see. I hope you always reveal it, even if you have to do some complicated two-stepping to discuss a painful issue. Readers who 'hold back' information as a "power trip" are worthless opportunists who are abusing their gifts ands will eventually lose them. Perhaps the moment at hand may not be the best time to reveal something, but you must never lie to a Querent; that is even worse.

Remember, we are always here to help you.
      "I'm NOT making this up, you know!" -- Tarotbear <):-)

Off his buns and on a roll.....

Comment

Tarotbear, that brings up some interesting things. I have always felt that honesty was necessary when doing readings. If it's in the reading, it's there for the person to know, not for me to hide it from them. But, I have an acquaintance who is also a tarot reader who absolutely refuses to tell a person about a death, pregnancy, accident, illness, etc... that she might see in a reading. She says she doesn't want to 'shock' them and that it's against her ethics. To me that calls into question ALL of her ethics. I mean, what kind of ethics could a liar have?

Comment

Mithrea, no I really don't want to quit reading. (Just momentairly confused.) And if I did it wouldn't be because I was so accuarate, but because I was learning things that I didn't expect to know.

But that brings me to my next point and one that is the same as the point Tarotbear mentioned. After I made my post things suddenly everything became very clear to me.
          I drew the THREE OF SWORDS for my daily reading the morning of the discussion about my friends reading. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from and I tried to prepare myself for ANYTHING. I DIDN'T prepare myself for the things my friend told me. Such stories as hers really bother me, make me mad, actually they make my blood boil. They hurt me. They hurt me to the point that I start thinking thoughts about what I'd do if I ever ran upon her X. Things that are not so nice. She also told me that NOT many people knew about her situtation. So as Tarotbear said she probably needed to talk and I was there for her.

Which leads to another point. Sometimes we need to learn things about other people in order to help them. This woman is one of the sweetest people I've ever meet in my life and if I can help her just by simply being there for her to talk to, well, so be it. This will also help me grow.

So, I'm not gonna quit reading. I'm just gonna learn to arm myself with some type of defense - just in case. And Tarotbear I will continue to tell truth about what I see. You know she didn't HAVE to tell me what had happened, she could've just said, "Yes, I see that might be right." Or she could've just flat out lied and said, "Well your wrong - that's not right!" Learning unpleasant things about folks that might be close to me is just part of it and I can learn to deal with it.

And Aoibheann I think your acquaintance should tell her Querents what she sees. After all that is probably why they are coming to her. Theres a difference between telling them what she sees and offering professional advise in a field that shes not qualified in. If she see sickness she should tell them and suggest they see a doctor. If she see pregancy she should tell them. And add if this isn't what your looking for you need to be careful.

I appreaciate all of you!

Comment

Ethics

Yes- ethics is a very important part of what we do. One thing you had to define for yourself as part of joining the ATA (American Tarot Association) was to write yourself your own code of ethics. Having an ethic may mean you might have to temper what you see...and say. Remember, we are readers - not doctors, lawyers, or Indian chiefs, no matter what role the Querent may be casting us in. One thing you may have to do is build up a little rolodex(r) of phone numbers and references for your clients. You may someday have to tell a client "I see that your situation will continue and become harder for you. Here is a phone number for a councelor/women's shelter/hotline you might want to have."

Aoibheann asks "What kind of ethics could a liar have?" I dunno. We do not have to be the harbingers of destruction and death, but how could you see trouble ahead for someone and not tell them? You may not want to say ' I think your husband is having an affair and will seek a divorce', but rather " I think your marriage is undergoing a trial and you might want to seek out a marriage counselor - with or without your husband's participation."

Witchy experienced an unpleasant situation. How many of us would not want to seek out this offender and pound his head into a cement wall? Unfortunately, we cannot correct the wrongs of someone else, nor can we sit in as both judges and executioners. That is a hard lesson to learn. Perhaps this is why Aoibheann's acquaintance 'covers up'.

Unfortunately, Witchy found out that doing Tarot readings is not all 'goodness and light.' I hope she was able to help this woman see the situation for what it was, and both of them (and the offender) can move on. And I hope that Witchy continues her Tarot developement.
            Last edited by tarotbear; December 18th, 2002, 01:53 PM.

Comment

((((Tarotbear))))
              Yes, I learned from my experience and I'm gonna keep on learning....and reading!

Thanks Tarotbear - Your the Greatest!

Comment

When I read this thread originally, I totally didn't get it. I was honestly thinking, "Cowgirl, what did you think they were for??"

I got a giant kick in the @$$ tonight.

I went to a party and there was a girl there who I've known for 8 or 9 years. She is part of my circle of friends but we are not close. At some point, someone asked me if I had my cards with me and oddly enough, I did. I had the Witches Tarot in a bag in the trunk of my car. I did a reading for one girl in the group and it wasn't such a great reading, mostly because they were showing something I knew she wouldn't be happy about. Then I did the second reading for the girl I mentioned above.

I should mention that when I read with this deck, somehow the cards never look the same to me even when I just looked at them. I don't even look at the card meanings Reed gives. I just sort of start talking. Anyway, I saw something about her that no one knows. Something that would ruin her life if anyone found out. And not just her life, but the life of her unborn child which she didn't know had arrived.

She kept saying, "Oh please don't tell anyone. Please don't tell anyone." So now I have this huge secret about her that no one else in our circle of friends can know. And there could most certainly come a time when the health of that baby could depend on the right people knowing this secret. I hate secrets. I don't want to know them. I am glad that the reading helped her but at the same time, I'm sick that I know this.

Ugh.

"The Triple Goddess as Maiden, Mother and Crone, is a relatively new concept which was made popular during the 20th century. Hekate is today most often equated to the Crone aspect of this triplicate archetypal image, but this idea of Hekate as Crone Goddess is one which would have been completely alien to the people of ancient Greece. The only possible explanation for the continued association today is that somehow the darker, scarier aspects of Hekate has been equated to wisdom in old age, which is, when you think about it rather ludicrous." -- Sorita D'Este. Read more in the book: Hekate: Keys to the Crossroads.

Comment

Mithrea ending the previous post: 'Ugh.'

Yeah - I know exactly what you mean. Perhaps you should look at it as part of your developlement - the fact that she knows you know and trusts you not to reveal what you now both know. Sometimes the 'gift' is a burden, too, you know.

Comment

((((Mithera))))
                    Wow!

Well, I hate that you've that this burden to carry - BUT - I'm glad we already had this thread going so that you'd have something to refer too.

You may hat secerts - but you gotta keep this one. I'll keep you in by prayers and send energy your way. Hun, if you need to talk PM - OK? ((((Mithera))))

Comment

Working...
                    X