thinking about a deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinking about a deck

ok, im new to wicca, and not v. experienced or skilled, so i was wondering what sort of tarot deck i should get???? im planning on getting one this or next weekend, but do all decks come with an explination as to what cards mean what? i mean, i have a gereral idea about the major arcana, but not of the smaller ones... stuff like the son of pentacles, the three of cups, etc.... and will i get better in time?
    Thanx!
    Hannah

I would recommend one of the decks based on the Rider-Waite deck or the Rider-Waite deck itself. I think it is a very sound format for a new user and is, I believe, a very good place to begin.

Blue :cool:
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!"
    How we deal with death and loss is just as important as how we deal with life and success.
    BlueCat's Den

Comment

I started with a Rider-Waite, it might not be as pretty as many other decks but it's got the most basic symbolism which makes it easier to move on to the more elaborate ones because most decks in one way or another is based on the Rider-Waite, and more importantly it's usually the cheapest. Some decks come with a book or booklet with explanations for each card and ways of laying the cards etc written for that particular deck. If the deck you purchase doesn't come with a book, I recommend you buy a general Tarot book separately. I have been doing tarot readings for 15 years and I still use the book to peek in when I need to. A deck has 78 cards, it's more or less impossible to memorize the meaning of each card, and even though you should mainly go on your own intuition, it helps to have some keywords at hand.

If you absolutely don't want the Rider-Waite, you should go with the one that speaks to you. As long as you get familiar with the deck you want to use, any deck can be a beginner deck. It's actually quite important to have a good relationship with your personal deck, after all a tarot reading is a sort of communication between the reader and the cards, and very few people I know have fallen deeply in love with the Rider-Waite (like I said, it's not exactly the fairest in the land). Even those who own an extensive collection of decks will tell you they all have a favourite, one that speaks to them in a special way. Mine is The Lord Of The Rings Tarot, although the Robin Wood deck comes in close second.
      ~Vinga~

Comment

I concur on the Rider-Waite type decks. I prefer the look of the Universal Waite deck. The colors are a bit softer and prettier. I own/use the Robin Wood deck which is also a great beginner deck.

Most decks come with at least a booklet giving some explanation of the cards and their meanings. I bought the Robin Wood deck off of her website and got the book that goes with it. Her book is one of the best (IMO) companion books. It goes into great detail of all the symbols.

My advice - research lots and lots of decks before you make a decision, then choose the one that speaks to you. If you're anything like me you'll want to jump right out and get a deck, but if you take a week to do some good research you'll end up getting the one that "fits" you the best the FIRST time! ...and you can always get a "beginner" deck now to get to know it then buy others later.

Good luck. Let us know which one you end up with!!! :cool:
        Emerald Sky

Comment

this site shows a couple cards per deck. There are 250 decks to look at. I think it's a great place to start looking at decks.
          http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/tarota.html

Once you find the deck you like, you can order it from a local book store, or on-line.

I agree that the rider waite is a good beginning, but definately go with a deck that speaks to you! For a companion book, I would recommend "Learn the Tarot" by Joan Bunning. That is the book/website we are using for the Tarot lessons here. :D www.learntarot.com (this way you don't HAVE to buy the book, it's right at your fingertips.)

Dagda

Comment

Decks

I have the graphics of 5 complete decks on my site, including the Rider Waite Deck. You can just go to http://www.bluecatsden.com/bluecat1.html and scroll down until you get to the Tarot section, then click on a link under the name of a deck.

Blue
            "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!"
            How we deal with death and loss is just as important as how we deal with life and success.
            BlueCat's Den

Comment

Rooted in the Earth.... Penetrating the Cosmos

Through the use of universal concepts INFINITE TAROT
              presents a timely oracle for everyone.
              Inspired images and interpretations beautifully reflect
              our modern human experience.

Seventy-six cards and interpretive booklet

www.infinitetarot.com

Why fear ye the Dark Queen, oh men?
              She is your renewer.
              --Dion Fortune

Comment

thanks everyone, due to your your great and wonderful advice i have dutifully decided to check out a rider-waite deck.. at the moment, ill take a look at at the links ASAP!

Comment

ok, now im confused!

argh! ive gone through the site, and now, many more questions...
                  ok, why are there SO MANY different decks? what are they all for?
                  why are there Christian Tarot cards? sureley they are occult, and really, christianity isnt occult, no?
                  do you use the different packs for different things?
                  why are they all drawn differently, or is that the main difference between them?
                  when choosing, should i choose on looks, or name.. or advise... or what?

Comment

I want the Hello Kitty ones....:P
                    Everybody's got wings...it's just a question of where you stashed them.
                    Non Illegitimi Carborundum Est.

Comment

Kitties?

Originally posted by Armitage
                      I want the Hello Kitty ones....:P

Me Too. Where are they?

Comment

I see them randomly on EBay...Right now I'm too effing broke to get anything though. T_T
                        Everybody's got wings...it's just a question of where you stashed them.
                        Non Illegitimi Carborundum Est.

Comment

Re: ok, now im confused!

Originally posted by Bittersweet
                          argh! ive gone through the site, and now, many more questions...
                          ok, why are there SO MANY different decks? what are they all for?
                          why are there Christian Tarot cards? sureley they are occult, and really, christianity isnt occult, no?
                          do you use the different packs for different things?
                          why are they all drawn differently, or is that the main difference between them?
                          when choosing, should i choose on looks, or name.. or advise... or what?
                          Each deck doesn't have it's own purpose, a deck is a deck is a deck... The reason there are so many is because they are published by tons of different companies and artists. Some decks have the regular suites wands, swords, cups and pentacles, others have made up their own names and symbolism. The different pictures on the cards are for provoking certain associations with the reader. For example a card with water on it would often be symbolising the unconscious etc. The picture isn't really what is important, it's what you associate with the picture.

I don't have a good answer to why there are Christian decks, perhaps because tarot has become so popular lately that it isn't always considered 'occult'. There are hundreds of decks based on just as many things. I have a deck based on J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings trilogy, there are the 'Daughters Of The Moon' tarot that only features women on all cards (not one single man in the whole deck), there are decks with mideival artwork and decks with modern artwork (where 'the chariot' is a race car for example). It's all to accomodate everyones taste and style. When choosing a deck you should pick a deck that you like, as simple as that. If it's because you like the art or because the price is right or whatever reason, as long as you like it. Once you've got your deck you should take plenty of time to get to know your deck and it's symbolism. It doesn't matter if the chariot is an old wagon or a race car, it still symbolises the same thing, you should pick the one that makes the most sense to you.

If you're still confused or uncertain, why not buy a book on tarot first and get more familiar with the whole concept before picking your deck?
                          Last edited by Vinga; May 13th, 2001, 07:41 PM.
                          ~Vinga~

Comment

Wishing you luck..

Great advice Vinga ~ I love your new image :D

Bittersweet ~ Id like to wish you luck in finding your deck and becoming a great Tarot reader!! You will find your deck and grow so much ~ As the moon is Wanning now ~ why dont you put on your reading hat and take this week to read up all you can, then get your deck ~ maybe hold each deck in your hand if you can before you choose ~ If a deck shouts out at you its yours!! And with the New Moon next week ~ Its a perfect time to start using and reading from your Tarot ~ really look and get to know your deck and meditate on each card ~ forget the books ~ you can interperate each card and do a reading straight from your heart!!
                            Good Luck!! and its great to have you here
                            New mommy & loving every minute of it!
                            Co-moderator ~ Tarot & Divination
                            &

Comment

Thanks! I try
                              ~Vinga~

Comment

Working...
                              X