Tarot Book Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarot Book Recommendations?

So I've got a couple decks, but only one book on actually doing tarot. I happen to have Tarot for the Green Witch by Ann Moura, but I'm looking for another tarot book too.

So...what would all you long time and new time tarot folks recommend? I'm a beginner, but I'm curious about intermediate and advanced recommendations also. Oh, and please tell why you recommend what you recommend!

Thankyou!
    -Arinya

if you're only interested in reading, then i think they're all pretty much the same... archetypal keyword blah blah blah...

but if you want to read something that might challenge your perceptions of what tarot can be, then i recommend 'Tarot; History, Mystery and Lore' by Cynthia Giles.
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Comment

I can't think of one particular book because a few come to mind..BUT i can definitely recommend which one NOt to get..." Tarot made easy by Nancy Garen"..my own experience with this book was not so good. Leanring from this book would make it a little harder to read all the cards together in a spread. I think in the begining if you are learning your way from books, it's always good to combine a few books...many books describe the meaning of cards differently...but it's nice to be able to look and "get a feel" for all the different meanings until you become "in tune" with the cards and develop your own sense of what they represent and feel to you. Two books that i liked were Tarot: Plain and simple by Anthony Louis" and "The Pictorial Guide to the Tarot by A.E Waide" now if you are using the Rider deck..this one would be helpful with understanding the pictures.

Karmen

Comment

The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals by Greer
        78 Degrees of Wisdom by Pollack

Those are the 2 I would recommend most highly.

Lisa
        :fpraise: All hail the mighty SEARCH function! :fpraiseyo

See the completed cards from the MW Tarot Project @ the link below:

If "a gentle touch speaks volumes" imagine what a bitch-slap can do! ~ me

Comment

The book i loved and still do is, Tarot for the Green Witch by Ann Moura

Best tarot book i've come across, but i love all Ann Moura's books.
          Forum Guide for the Tarot Forum

Comment

I really like: "Tarot for Beginners" by P. Scott Hollander; "Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom" by Rachael Pollack; and the web site www.learntarot.com
            Dagda

Comment

I really like Tarot Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis. Images are from the Robin Wood tarot, but they pretty well match any Rider-Waite-based deck. The book works with simple descriptions and keywords, and also talks fairly in-depth about reversals. It's not very deep, but it's a great reference if that's what you're looking for.

Comment

"Tarot for Your Self" by Mary K. Greer is my favourite tarot book of all time - it's suitable for beginners, but also has enough indepth stuff to keep you busy for quite some time. It focuses on reading for yourself rather than for other people.
                http://kisstheviolets.org/padma

Comment

Tarot for the woman within - Cassandra Eason - good for alight read, an easy introduction
                  Tarot of the Spirit - I forget who - although it's written for a specific deck, it's such a good (really indepth) study of tarot, that I highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagda Moon~Lily
                    and the web site www.learntarot.com
                    Yes, I did most of my learning from the lessons there. :idea:

Comment

As mentioned before "Tarot for Beginners" by P. Scott Hollander that is the book I used for when I was learning about Tarot and then there is another book called Tarot that is put out by Collin Gem it is a small hand sized book with losts of good info for the beginner and more advanced user even.
                      SilverClawStudio on Facebook

Comment

Books

There are soooo many, and it depends on what you want from the book.

The book that I like the best is a little of everything. It talks about the symbolism, history, and reading:

Tarot Mysteries: Rediscovering the Real Meanings of the Cards-Jonathan Dee

If you want to look at the psychology of the cards and the Fools Journey try:

Jung and Tarot: An Archtypal Journey-Sallie Nichols

These are the books that I learned the most from. There are all kinds of websites that you can draw information from. It ranges from the Golden Dawn interpretations to Bunning interpretations. Just punch something in. I found that learning the symbolism was a great help in reading the Tarot. I was surprised at the threads that ran through certain decks. Such as the Lily and Rose theme, the lemniscate, and the pillars that run through the Waite Rider deck. nuf said for now.

Ask, believe, receive. Thoughts become things!
                        I've made it a point not to regret anything I've done, there is no point in it because you can't change it~~RunningRiot
                        democracy is a failed system, people are just too stupid to realise their votes never matter anymore~~Valnorran

Comment

Working...
                        X