I'm Learning how

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Learning how

I am learning how to read tarot but I read places that its better to do reading on others because you are not emotionally attached, and there is nothing clouding the reading. Is this true? And if so can I do someone's reading without their permission???
    Divine Sanctum : a place of acceptance and tolerance without judgement...

I would say it's better to do a reading on someone else first, at first i always foundi couldnt read for myself but as i learnt more i was able to start reading myself.
    It is not advised to read someones cards without permission, and i'm not sure how far you'd get with it anyway. Good Luck
    Forum Guide for the Tarot Forum

Comment

One disadvantage to reading for yourself is it is difficult for most of us to really be objective...especially if it's advise we really don't want to hear (remember all the times your mom told you not to do something and you just sort of said "yeah..yeah..yeah..whatever" because you didn't like what you were hearing? Even when mom was right???).
      However, I found it easier to learn by doing readings rather than just trying to memorize cards and possible meanings. Face it, unless you have an abundance of understanding and patient friends and family who are happy to be your "guinea pigs" you do have to basically "read" for yourself..especially while you are only learning. Just my 2 cents worth.
      The two things that make life worthwhile are love and joy. If you find one, the other is sure to follow.

Comment

I'm going to come down on the other side of the debate about reading for yourself. I say ABSOLUTELY do it! It's a wonderful way to learn. The cards will help you put a framework around your intuition, and may point to hidden factors--things you need to see or learn. Yes, your readings may be clouded by your own emotions and opinions, but that's to be expected, and it's actually part of the learning process.

When I read for myself, which I do every single day, I always write my reading down on a worksheet I created, and I store the worksheets in a loose-leaf binder. I write down what I see on the cards visually, and what I think it means, as well as the traditional book meaning and keywords. Then I pull the reading together and ask what it's trying to tell me for today. At the end of the day, I go back and look at the reading again and ask whether it was accurate for me or not. If it didn't seem accurate, then I ask myself if there was something I missed, or where I might have been more objective in my interpretation. MOST of the time, my readings for myself confirm just how well tarot does work, and they also help me grow as a person!

If you'd like to start reading for yourself, I would suggest the book Tarot for Yourself, by Mary K. Greer. It's a workbook that guides you through reading the tarot for your own personal growth and transformation, and it's also an excellent learning tool.

By all means, if you don't like reading for yourself, don't. But please don't avoid reading your own cards just because you're afraid the results won't be very objective. Give it a try, and if it doesn't work for you, that's fine. But if it DOES work eventually, what a great way to learn and discover.

Comment

I say practice practice practice!!!!

Yourself, friends, whoever!!!!

Part of learning it is to not allow your preconcieved notions to cloud....
          Sat Bast, meryt Serqet-Aset her Yenipu-Wepwawet her HetHert-Sekhmet
          "While I dance I cannot judge,
          I cannot hate,
          I cannot seperate myself from life.
          I can only be joyful and whole.
          That is why I dance."
          --Hans Bos

Comment

You guys all make such good points profuse thanks for all your points of view. I dont know what I would do without you guys
            Divine Sanctum : a place of acceptance and tolerance without judgement...

Comment

Working...
            X