Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help w/ buying a Tarot Deck

Hey guys,

I'm a beginner at Tarot, and I've never bought a deck, but now I've become interested....
    so what I really wanna know is, where can I buy a tarot deck online for beginners..what would be the best one for me, and I think I would need a book or intructions to get the meanings of the cards. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thnx in advance!
    Love,
    *Melissa*

Everything in nature works toward the benefit of everything else if allowed to follow its own natural course.

I am in harmony with the divine Light which fills and guides me.

Originally posted by MBeeHny
    Hey guys,

I'm a beginner at Tarot, and I've never bought a deck, but now I've become interested....
    so what I really wanna know is, where can I buy a tarot deck online for beginners..what would be the best one for me, and I think I would need a book or intructions to get the meanings of the cards. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thnx in advance!
    well it depends...do you want to work with certain cards or do you just want to know the basics of everything?

Comment

I don't really get your question..I just want whatever deck that would be easy for a beginner..or does it matter anyway?
      Love,
      *Melissa*

Everything in nature works toward the benefit of everything else if allowed to follow its own natural course.

Comment

Originally posted by MBeeHny
        I don't really get your question..I just want whatever deck that would be easy for a beginner..or does it matter anyway?
        for me, either The Quick and Easy Tarot, or The Starter Tarot are a great help when you first learn because the interpretations are right on all the cards and thier reversed meanings.....I love my quick and easy deck :hahugh:

Suffering thru a 3rd deployment!!!!!

Comment

well, you could look for a deck that comes with a book. Those are generally pretty good to learn with.

Comment

Make sure what ever deck you use, that you like the art and that you are comfortable with images. I for one don't like Satan cards...so I look for decks that have something else. Instead my deck has a "Temptation" card......

Dove

New to Wicca? Start Here!

"I sometimes find the excessive amount of "fluff-bunny" paganism on the 'net to be annoying, but the 'stinking-badgers" on the other end of the spectrum are just as unrepresentative." -I. Bonewits

MoringDove's Web Sitel Morning Dove's Live Journal My Pagan Quizes

:hearthearHave a Blessed Day!:hearthear

Comment

Where can I find the Quick and Easy Tarot?

& thanks for the advice MorningDove!
              Love,
              *Melissa*

Comment

http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=68728

http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=55649

http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=68875

http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=68728

http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=68111

There you go, 5 other threads on this, good luck!
                :fpraise: All hail the mighty SEARCH function! :fpraiseyo

See the completed cards from the MW Tarot Project @ the link below:

If "a gentle touch speaks volumes" imagine what a bitch-slap can do! ~ me

Comment

A New Deck

Hey

I have just joined the forum. Maybe it would be a good idea to look around and get aquainted before posting ... but the other part of me thought 'why not just jump in?'.

I started with the Rohrig, some eight or nine years ago and I chose it primarily because I liked the art work. I knew little to nothing about the tarot at that point, and started to read intuitively.

I still feel that this was the right deck for me, and all of those years later, it still has a special place and I do use it often.

A lot of people suggest the Rider Waite as a good starting point because the minor cards are illustrated and allow your intuition to work with them; looking into the scenic pips to find out what the said card means. I think that it is a good deck to start with; if only because there is so many books that are illustrated with its cards and you will find many discussions about the deck on the internet and generally. It all depends on whether you appreciate the art work, I suppose. As I said, I didn't start with a Rider Waite or one of it's clones and it hasn't harmed my study of the tarot.

My advice would be to go with a deck that has imagery that you feel a connection to. The deck should have the standard 78 cards and bare some kind of simularity in ordering and naming of the cards. My only other suggestion would be to not rush the choosing of your deck. Take it slowly and research through as many packs as you can; comparing each and considering why one might be more comfortable for you than another.

I hope that this helps a little.

Best wishes and good luck with your search.

Yaboot

Comment

Two of the most readily available decks are the Universal Waite Tarot which does come with the cards and a nice book for around $27.95 US, and the Sharmant-Burke Starter Tarot, which also has the deck and a very nice book with it for about the same price. You should be able to get them through any of your major book retailers online in the US. The Sharmant-Burke is very nice.....close to the Waite decks, but her artwork has a very pleasing quality that the more traditional Waite deck lacks (IMHO)...You should buy a deck that you like the artwork on definitely, but one big advantage to buying a deck very closely based on the Rider-Waite deck is the simple fact that the majority of the books and references you will find are tied to that deck (it's sort of the granddaddy of 'em all)...that can sometimes make the learning process a little easier.
                    The two things that make life worthwhile are love and joy. If you find one, the other is sure to follow.

Comment

Just to add; if you want a Rider Waite clone but with more easier on the eye illustrations, the Morgan Greer is very readable.

Yaboot

Comment

Originally posted by Yaboot
                        Just to add; if you want a Rider Waite clone but with more easier on the eye illustrations, the Morgan Greer is very readable.
                        I love my Morgan Greer deck. Borderless decks are lovely. I just picked it up a few months ago and it's already one of my main reading decks.

I couldn't get into tarot though, until I found a deck that really spoke to me, and that was the Victoria Regina. I started with Robin Wood, struggled through memorizing all the LWB meanings, and then when I saw Victoria on the shelf, I just knew that she and I were meant to be together... :hearthear

So make sure that you feel connected to the artwork, else it will be torturous to try and learn.

~Seaofclouds
                        before my eyes
                        a sparrow divides
                        the sea of clouds

Comment

Thanks guys! Well, I actually already bought a deck..I won a bid on EBay for the Unicorn Deck....I love unicorns and I read a great review for it. I hope this deck does it for me!
                          Love,
                          *Melissa*

Comment

I started with the Scapini deck but quicky switched to the Osho Zen deck. That and with the Cagliostro it gives the wording directly on the cards. When doing readings I can show them exactly what the card said with the meaning. They are known as "fluff decks". You might want tot start with them as beginning decks... I hope that it is useful to you

elfoala

Comment

Working...
                            X