Bookish question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bookish question

I want to learn as much as I can about Tarot -- I have a gift in reading it, I know that much. I have the Goddess Tarot Workbook along with the Goddess Tarot. This and one other deck work marvelously for me. (My third deck couldn't pull a relevant card if there were only 2 in there.)

I can learn the general meanings of the cards from my workbook, but I'm looking at other peoples readings and seeing things like "the number 8, which stands for hard work" and I want to know how you guys learned this stuff Any reccomended books would be great, if you could. Any websites, anything you guys find useful.

I'm a learning machine!

*grins*
    {@} Autumn SilverRose

"And we scream at cathedrals
    'Why can't I be beautiful?'"
    --Tori Amos

Have you had a chance to go back through the pages here at the Tarot forum? We have that type of class stuff. I don't have them linked yet in the "Announcement: Class Threads" thread yet.....it's on that long procrastinated to do list.

There are several books that I recommend: Tarot for beginners by P. Scott Hollander; Seventy-eight Degrees of Wisdom by Rachael Pollack; Easy Tarot Guide by Marcia Masino; Tarot Companion by Tracy Porter.

There are many good books out there. If you have ANY questions, feel free to ask!
    Dagda

Comment

I have 3 different books on Tarot Cards. Every book you read will have something different.

The Amazing Book of Tarot - Joan Moore
      My mother bought me this book, not only does it explain tarot cards but also how to read regular cards (playing cards)

How to read the Tarot - Sylvia Abraham
      I just got this book the other day, I really enjoy it. Gives a good discription of the cards. Also there is a small symbol dictionary in the back that is helpful. I definatly recommend this book.

Shapeshifter Tarot - D.J Conway and Sirana Knight
      I own the Shapeshift Tarot deck. So the book came with the deck, Its a good book but sometimes I find the meanings of the cards are a bit confusing.

www.learntarot.com is an excellent website!

Hope that helps.

Blessings,
      Andromeda

Comment

Are there universal meanings for the cards? Or would it depend on the deck? I was wondering because the imagery is different from deck to deck. For example, the 8 of Wands in my Wheel of Change deck would have different pictures & images from the Goddess Tarot. Would they still mean the same?
        Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege to do so also. - Voltaire

Comment

The Tarot Companion also has a symbol dictionary in it. It also has brief descriptions of the cards, and correlations between colors, numbers, repeated numbers, cabala, runes, ect. It's a great reference book!
          Dagda

Comment

Originally posted by Wildchild
            Are there universal meanings for the cards? Or would it depend on the deck? I was wondering because the imagery is different from deck to deck. For example, the 8 of Wands in my Wheel of Change deck would have different pictures & images from the Goddess Tarot. Would they still mean the same?
            Have you looked at both the cards and see if they draw the same type of thoughts and feelings from you? I would take that into account first.....then if there is still doubt, go by the meaning of the number and combine it with the suit. That gives a good jump point also. :D

I believe most Rider/Waite cards or similar based decks have traditional meanings. But with all the new decks on the market, I also think that the person who created the cards have specific ideas, thoughts and feelings they are trying to convey. Each of my decks bring out a different feeling from the cards. Most are similar in meanings. ....but I just go by what my gut tells me, not a book of someone else's impressions. :D
            Dagda

Comment

When I say stuff like that it usually just comes from my intuition, and isn't something I learned from a book...

Comment

Thanks, Dagda. I've been comparing my cards to the book & it's pretty interesting the imageries involved & complicated. :D
                Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege to do so also. - Voltaire

Comment

Here's a link for the Numberology of the Tarot. :D

http://www.angelpaths.com/numerology/numerintro.html

Happy Exploring!

~D
                  Dagda

Comment

Working...
                  X