Are cards really drawn randomly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are cards really drawn randomly?

I'm trying to figure out what I believe about tarot.

I did a couple readings on a situation that *part* of me (the rational part) feels will never turn out well, and the outcome card on both of those: The World. A good card, no? Should I trust it?

Some of you believe tarot works by synchronocity (or divine intervention, or magic), and that the answer is in the cards, as well as in ourselves. Others believe that the cards that are drawn are truly random, and that the interpretations are solely our own.

I find myself believing that the cards themselves are not random. There are only so many times I can get The Fool in the same position for the same situation before I start to question whether it's really a coincidence. I haven't kept track, but it must be about four times now -- both when I read, and when another reads for me -- and I'm not a statistician, but the odds of that seem something like .0002% or 2 in a million. (Alright, it's probably more like 4 out of 5 Fools... but the odds are still pretty low, no?)

So. What if I do a simple one-card, or three-card spread, and what if the cards that come up have few if any negative interpretations (The Sun, The World)? For those of you believe that the answer lies only in ourselves, would you still say, "Wow, those are great cards!" or would you feel cheated: "I *know* this is a situation that has little chance of turning out well, and these great cards aren't helping much. They don't give me a chance to interpret negatively a situation that I really feel can't go well!"
    Last edited by arctic splash; February 5th, 2005, 01:37 AM.
    It's up to you now if you sink or swim
    Just keep the faith and your ship will come in
    It's not so bad

Hey hey hey it's just an ordianary day
    And it's all your state of mind
    At the end of the day
    You just have to say
    it's alright

-- Great Big Sea

Every card has its polarity of positive and negative. Personally, I don't believe there are "good" or "bad" cards.

I'm also unsure about the cards being random. But some cards keep coming up over and over again for me... and the odds are _very_ low of that happening.
    "Dont struggle like that or I will only love you more."
    -The Cure, "Lullaby"

Comment

I dont believe that the cards are random. I dont believe in coincidences.

I think that each card falls in place for a reason. I dont think that Divine Intervention puts the cards in place, but rather that Divine interventions shows me what I need to see through the cards that come up in the spread and reading.

Personally, whenever I do a reading I call on The Morrigan (My Patron Goddess whos one of her traits is Prophacy), and I make sure I light a Cinnamon Incense (her fave) as sacrifice & thanks to her aiding me in the reading. I ask her to show me what I need to understand of the cards and their position. Once the cards are in place and I observe their meanings (yes I use the booklet of whichever deck I use as an aid), and observe their place within the spread, consider the person, their question and the situation - I let my mind run.

I find that when my mind runs - It reaches conclusions and thoughts that lead to what the cards are trying to say.

I dont usually use reversals, but I do take under consideration the good and the bad within each card. The Tarot are there to indicate to you the options that you are facing, not what will or will not happen. They are there to open your mind and subconcience to what is not always obvious.

Comment

I don't believe they are random either
        Erin

Comment

well the cards are not random and certainly point you in the direction you can go, or you may make the choice to approach this from another direction entirely. If you think this can come out OK or the think this can't come out OK you are right. If you think it can't come out well, for sure it won't, regardless of what the cards say. You influence the outcome, just by the actions you take. These are only possibilities, not etched in stone. I think I would let the possibility that it can have a good outcome into my thinking. I don't know what the question was, or anything like that, but the world generally is a good card, let it happen that way if you want it to.

shatril

Ask, believe, receive. Thoughts become things!
          I've made it a point not to regret anything I've done, there is no point in it because you can't change it~~RunningRiot
          democracy is a failed system, people are just too stupid to realise their votes never matter anymore~~Valnorran

Comment

If I believed that the cards were random, or that divining with tarot gave me a future etched in stone, I probably wouldn't use tarot anymore. At least I probably wouldn't want to dedicate years to studying it.

I like your philosophy, Shatril, because it makes me more relaxed and confident about my reading abilities. I want to believe it's more than just an ink-blot test but that the cards themselves came up for a reason. Like Morr, I usually invoke before a reading, because it makes me more confident that the shuffling is guided... and it's not all me.
            It's not so bad

At the end of the day
            You just have to say
            it's alright

-- Great Big Sea

Comment

I had another thought here. You said you looked at this from all angles several times and couldn't see how it could have a good outcome. Maybe it is time to STOP analyzing and just believe the cards, before your analyzing mind sets the bad outcome in stone. At least allow for the possibility of a good outcome.

Another possibility is that the bad outcome you expect may be of the variety that has a silver lining. Just a thought.

Shatril

Ask, believe, receive. Thoughts become things!
              I've made it a point not to regret anything I've done, there is no point in it because you can't change it~~RunningRiot
              democracy is a failed system, people are just too stupid to realise their votes never matter anymore~~Valnorran

Comment

I totally agree. But maybe I should clarify that the last paragraph of my post was just theoretical. I was exagerrating to make a point.

Originally posted by from last paragraph
                ...or would you feel cheated: "I *know* this is a situation that has little chance of turning out well, and these great cards aren't helping much. They don't give me a chance to interpret negatively a situation that I really feel can't go well!"
                I don't actually believe there's no chance of it going well. Right now I'm actually quite optimistic. They just weren't the cards I expected to see, and the PART of me that doesn't think it'll go well immediately thought: The cards are wrong!

Yeah, I do need to silence my negative / pessimistic side.
                It's not so bad

At the end of the day
                You just have to say
                it's alright

-- Great Big Sea

Comment

Originally posted by Shatril

Another possibility is that the bad outcome you expect may be of the variety that has a silver lining. Just a thought.

Shatril
                  That's exactly what I was going to say.
                  I believe everything that happens to us, the bad and the good, happens for a reason. Whatever hardships or heartbreaks we go through are part of the whole experience we're supposed to have in this lifetime.
                  It might not be clear to us when we're in the middle of a bad situation, but, eventually as time goes by and we gain perspective, everything starts to make sense and I can't count how many times I've said to myself "Of course. Now I understand why I had to live through that!"
                  The World is a positive card in the sense that it is (in most decks) the last card of the Major Arcana; it marks the end of the Fool's journey. He's finally gained all the wisdom and experience he needs to face the world head on and without fear. But think of all he had to go through to get there!

Comment

I think of the world not as the "last" card because I look at the marjor arcana like a circle/cycle, so the world is immediately followed by the fool. The world is a great card, but it may indicate needing to narrow your focus back onto yourself and start re-learning the lessons in the journey of the fool.
                    "Dont struggle like that or I will only love you more."
                    -The Cure, "Lullaby"

Comment

Working...
                    X