Charging for Readings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging for Readings

When did you feel comfortable enough to charge for readings, or do you think you shouldn't charge? How much would you charge for readings and what extra steps would you do to make sure your querant got their money's worth.

ooooooo...good question...it helps to judge what YOU feel comfortable..for me..it's always been a matter of trade..I got two decks..books...and even a handmade bracelet for my readings....oooo...and a batch of chocolate chip cookies...

"One should examine oneself for a very long time before thinking of condemning others. " - Moliere

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. " - Harvey Fierstein

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell (1904-1987)

Comment

Well, I have been offering reading for MW members...and what their feedback, have given good readings. I've been thinking about actually putting my services up for auction, but I just want an idea on other people's opinions.

Comment

I think it depends a lot on your level of experience. I've been reading for close to 3 1/2 years, and I don't consider that a great deal of experience, but I know (based on feedback) that I provide a good service. I generally do a 6-9 card reading. I write a couple paragraphs about each card and its interpretation, including the invuitive vibes I get, and I write a few paragraphs of summary. It takes me about an hour to do a reading from start to finish. For that, I charge $20. As I gain more and more professional experience, my price will go up accordingly. I'm not greedy at all, but what I do takes talent, time and effort. I think I provide a very good service, and I know it's worth the money I charge, so I don't sell myself short. It might help you to get an idea what to charge if you went and looked at other professional tarot readers websites to see what they're charging and get an average.

If you have little experience reading for others, then you're probably not in a situation where you should consider charging for your readings, although...you're the only one who can judge when you're ready. But keep in mind that people tend to be very appreciative of free readings, and they'll be willing to offer lots of praise and gratitude. When you start charging, however, they become consumers...and a consumer will want his or her money's worth. If you don't give it, and you're not professional in your approach, you could find yourself on the receiving end of criticism and complaints. I don't want to scare you, but those are just the simple facts.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

Comment

Originally posted by AuroraSilvermist
          I think it depends a lot on your level of experience. I've been reading for close to 3 1/2 years, and I don't consider that a great deal of experience, but I know (based on feedback) that I provide a good service. I generally do a 6-9 card reading. I write a couple paragraphs about each card and its interpretation, including the invuitive vibes I get, and I write a few paragraphs of summary. It takes me about an hour to do a reading from start to finish. For that, I charge $20. As I gain more and more professional experience, my price will go up accordingly. I'm not greedy at all, but what I do takes talent, time and effort. I think I provide a very good service, and I know it's worth the money I charge, so I don't sell myself short. It might help you to get an idea what to charge if you went and looked at other professional tarot readers websites to see what they're charging and get an average.

If you have little experience reading for others, then you're probably not in a situation where you should consider charging for your readings, although...you're the only one who can judge when you're ready. But keep in mind that people tend to be very appreciative of free readings, and they'll be willing to offer lots of praise and gratitude. When you start charging, however, they become consumers...and a consumer will want his or her money's worth. If you don't give it, and you're not professional in your approach, you could find yourself on the receiving end of criticism and complaints. I don't want to scare you, but those are just the simple facts.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!
          No, you're not scaring me at all. I appreciate the advice! :uhhuhuh: I'll practice more on them so I can be completely sure of myself.

Comment

Bump!

Comment

I think there should be some trade -whether that be money, other goods or simple energy or feedback for the person

Simply because I think sometimes doing things for nothing (unless in an emergency/serious situation) can show that you don't value your self or your time

Comment

As of right now I'm charging approximately $2 per card for every reading that I do. I think that's a reasonable price for what I provide. A 10 card Celtic Cross spread ends up being $20 which I think is fair.

I know some people who charge up to $60 for a reading, but they are generally giving the client an hour of their time, my readings don't yet take that long.
                :fpraise: All hail the mighty SEARCH function! :fpraiseyo

See the completed cards from the MW Tarot Project @ the link below:

If "a gentle touch speaks volumes" imagine what a bitch-slap can do! ~ me

Comment

at our county fair there was someone there charging 20 bucks for tarot reading.... it was out of my budget I have never had anyone read mine, but i have done my own a few select friends
                  "A mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam" ~ Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

Comment

My rate is a sort of sliding scale. 10 minutes is $10, 30 minutes is $25, 60 minutes is $45, etc... I have a hard time justifying charging more than that to myself. Which is something I'm working on, truly valuing my own time.

It was several years before I felt comfortable charging for readings, but then again, I started learning when I was in my early teens, and didn't feel comfortable charging until I was well into my adult years.

I think that charging for readings is completely acceptable because you are giving your time, which is valuable, as well as your experience, which is even more valuable, to the client. I also find that people who get free readings often don't value them. Not always, but probably 90% of the time, when someone gets a free reading, right after they are running off to find the next freebie reading. When they have to pay for it with actual cash, they value it more. I say with actual cash, because while a barter has cash value, barter tends to be viewed as less valuable to many people than handing over hard-earned money.
                    ~*~
                    There are no surprises in life, just us closing our eyes to reality. - Me.
                    Quantum frying pans fit anywhere. - Me.

~*~
                    I read Tarot cards and Oracle cards and Runes and Pendulums and little colored gems that represent the elements. And I believe that they tell the truth. I believe that faeries are real, and that they talk to me. I also know that I'm at least 50% insane. And I'm okay with that. I won't judge you. But you can judge me all you want. I'll just tell you to stuff it where the sun don't shine. And I'll smile while I'm saying it, and offer you homemade fudge and soft pretzels.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaT4P View Post
                      I know some people who charge up to $60 for a reading, but they are generally giving the client an hour of their time, my readings don't yet take that long.
                      I started doing professional readings a little over 12 years ago. I was volunteer reading for a fundraiser for the Pagan student's club at school, and my line stretched around the corner. The other volunteer readers sort of dragged me down to the local Pagan shop a few days later and talked me into giving the owner a sample reading.

The going rate back then was $1 per minute, with $30-$45 being average. That was 12 years ago in Rochester, and the shop is still charging the same rate for their readings today.

Here in the Hudson/Catskill area, the going rate at the Awareness Shop in New Paltz is $80 per hour, with $40 half hour readings being average. I believe the rate is the same at Mirabai in Woodstock; I haven't been to the Dreaming Goddess in Poughkeepsie yet. Independent readers tend to charge a little less; festival and toruist rates are often quick and cheap. Bob Place who is between Kingston and Woodstock charges $60 per hour, but I imagine most of his income actually comes from writing, art, and lecturing. I've seen people charging as little as &10 for a "quickie" reading, although it's generally predictive in nature and I'm not sure of the quality.

I honestly can't imagine someone seriously doing card reading for any significant, realistic portion of their income and charging anything less than an average $60, except for sliding scale reduced rates. If you are going to do this professionally, then you need to charge realistic, professional, and competitive rates and then damn well be able to give people their money's worth.

I offer a combined service, so when I meet with my clients it usually lasts an hour but it's not just card reading, it's combined with NLP and other "life coach"- style techniques. (Less than an hour would not be enough time just for most NLP sessions, but more than an hour would be too long and attention starts to break down.) I charge $75 an hour on a sliding scale (have frequently read for a beer or a meal or just for the hell of it), which is the going rate for NLP, but some clients have actually insisted on paying me the local Tarot "norm" of $80, either because that's what their used to, or (I like to hope) because they feel that's what it's worth.

To be honest, the biggest complainers I have ever met in regards
                      to not charging for readings on "ethical" grounds have mainly been idealistic but naive college students who have never held a full-time job, and still live in dorms or with their parents, who pay their tuition. Exactly what is so "ethical" about burning yourself out for a stressful, demanding job that requires experience and hard work, frequently dealing tactfully with difficult and emotional people, covering overhead like transportation, shop or festival space costs, and then not being able to pay rent?
                      Last edited by brymble; August 20th, 2009, 10:58 AM.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Comment

Originally posted by brymble View Post
                        I started doing professional readings a little over 12 years ago. I was volunteer reading for a fundraiser for the Pagan student's club at school, and my line stretched around the corner. The other volunteer readers sort of dragged me down to the local Pagan shop a few days later and talked me into giving the owner a sample reading.

The going rate back then was $1 per minute, with $30-$45 being average. That was 12 years ago in Rochester, and the shop is still charging the same rate for their readings today.

Here in the Hudson/Catskill area, the going rate at the Awareness Shop in New Paltz is $80 per hour, with $40 half hour readings being average. I believe the rate is the same at Mirabai in Woodstock; I haven't been to the Dreaming Goddess in Poughkeepsie yet. Independent readers tend to charge a little less; festival and toruist rates are often quick and cheap. Bob Place who is between Kingston and Woodstock charges $60 per hour, but I imagine most of his income actually comes from writing, art, and lecturing. I've seen people charging as little as &10 for a "quickie" reading, although it's generally predictive in nature and I'm not sure of the quality.

I honestly can't imagine someone seriously doing card reading for any significant, realistic portion of their income and charging anything less than an average $60, except for sliding scale reduced rates. If you are going to do this professionally, then you need to charge realistic, professional, and competitive rates and then damn well be able to give people their money's worth.

I offer a combined service, so when I meet with my clients it usually lasts an hour but it's not just card reading, it's combined with NLP and other "life coach"- style techniques. (Less than an hour would not be enough time just for most NLP sessions, but more than an hour would be too long and attention starts to break down.) I charge $75 an hour on a sliding scale (have frequently read for a beer or a meal or just for the hell of it), which is the going rate for NLP, but some clients have actually insisted on paying me the local Tarot "norm" of $80, either because that's what their used to, or (I like to hope) because they feel that's what it's worth.

To be honest, the biggest complainers I have ever met in regards
                        to not charging for readings on "ethical" grounds have mainly been idealistic but naive college students who have never held a full-time job, and still live in dorms or with their parents, who pay their tuition. Exactly what is so "ethical" about burning yourself out for a stressful, demanding job that requires experience and hard work, frequently dealing tactfully with difficult and emotional people, covering overhead like transportation, shop or festival space costs, and then not being able to pay rent?
                        Yep to all of it

LOL

I find that a lot of people who tell me, "It's not right to charge for readings..." are also just searching for a free reading...

As far as not charging enough, I'm guilty of that. I'm working on that though. I need to sit down, figure out how many tarot readings I could reasonably do in a week, and then decide how much money I want to make in a week, and base my reading rate on that. Period. I am worth it.

I've spent years learning the tarot, and have invested a lot of money in books and decks. And a whole crapload of time...

We often don't give ourselves enough credit when determining our value. And bloody hell... if Sylvia Browne can charge $700 for a 30 minute phone reading... I think we're worth more than a couple bucks!
                        ~*~
                        There are no surprises in life, just us closing our eyes to reality. - Me.
                        Quantum frying pans fit anywhere. - Me.

~*~
                        I read Tarot cards and Oracle cards and Runes and Pendulums and little colored gems that represent the elements. And I believe that they tell the truth. I believe that faeries are real, and that they talk to me. I also know that I'm at least 50% insane. And I'm okay with that. I won't judge you. But you can judge me all you want. I'll just tell you to stuff it where the sun don't shine. And I'll smile while I'm saying it, and offer you homemade fudge and soft pretzels.

Comment

Agreed.

Although I haven't chosen to read professionally in a very long time, I would certainly charge more now than I was comfortable with 4 years ago (when I originally wrote the previous post). My experience level is obviously more than it was 4 years ago, and I value my personal time more as well.
                          :fpraise: All hail the mighty SEARCH function! :fpraiseyo

See the completed cards from the MW Tarot Project @ the link below:

If "a gentle touch speaks volumes" imagine what a bitch-slap can do! ~ me

Comment

I like to be compensated for my time and energy. Querents have always been drawn to me because of my intuitive ability. I only recently started charging $20 for a 5-card reading. I can do larger spreads to get a better insight into the situation and will do so only if the querent asks.

I have a online storefront, a blog and I also twitter. All are labeled as LadyMarianTarot if anyone chooses contact me through any of those.

Recently, I have been offering free readings on this site for feedback only. I plan to make the offer once every 4 to 6 weeks as time allows. I really enjoy reading for some of the members here, it is a nice way to meet people and make friends.

Blessed be,

Lady Marian

Comment

I don't understand people who say charging for a reading is wrong. I'm a cook, it is my most marketable skill. I cook for Friends and family for free. I have used my skill to help the poor and hungry. You better believe I want to be paid top dollar in the job market for my skill. How is doing readings any different. It is your skill that people are obviously willing to pay for. I don't know...
                              Last edited by Corvid; August 20th, 2009, 01:40 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Strength of character, not hate

Comment

Working...
                              X