Tarot Study Group: Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarot Study Group: Introduction

I'm starting a card by card discussion of the Tarot, for those who are just learning as well as those who are already familiar with the cards. (Those of you who expressed interest had better get in here and discuss, too )

Before we get started on the cards, though, I think it's important that we explore what exactly we think the tarot can do for us, and what it means to each of us. The following questions are mostly adapted from, or inspired by, the few resources I have here.

*First, what exactly do you think the Tarot is? What is its purpose? Explain it like you would to a friend who didn't understand.

*What do you hope to learn from the tarot? Or from studying and learning more about the tarot, if you don't plan to use it as a tool in your own life?

*How do you think the tarot works? Does it really? Can you tell the future with the tarot?

*If you are already a tarot-ist, how do you primarily use the cards? If you're still beginning, how do you see yourself using the cards in the future?

*Any other tarot-related information you'd like to share? Other questions about the tarot in general? Let's get a good discussion going here, so we can all deepen our understanding of the cards.
    ~mudweed~
    If you wish to know the divine, feel the wind on your face and the warm sun on your hand.
    the Buddha

mudweed is

Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha

mudweed- I am here- I just woke up and grabbed a cup of coffee, so now is not the time to answer these questions. Who knows what I might slowly and groggily babble about? But I promise I will be joining this study group. And I'll answer these as soon as my brain wakes up sufficiently.
    Thanks for starting this.

My Blog: The Musings of Faery-Wings

Comment

count me in too
      im a bit busy but I'll definitly answer these questions!
      This is an awesome idea! koodos to you!

Comment

I guess I should answer my own questions...

Originally posted by mudweed
        *First, what exactly do you think the Tarot is? What is its purpose? Explain it like you would to a friend who didn't understand.
        The tarot is a system of symbols that helps us access our deepest mind and intuition...perhaps even tapping into the universal consciousness. The purpose as I see it is to facilitate the journey of the self: to open ourselves to our own deep wisdom.

*What do you hope to learn from the tarot? Or from studying and learning more about the tarot, if you don't plan to use it as a tool in your own life?
        I hope to continue to strengthen my mind and intuition and use that strength to begin to develop better ways of interacting with the world around me.

*How do you think the tarot works? Does it really? Can you tell the future with the tarot?
        Hmmm, good question, me.... I think it works by giving our subconscious a kick in the rear using symbols the child-like mind understands. I think our minds simply use the images on the cards to remind us of something we already know, but may not have recognized yet. As far as the future-telling bit, I believe that much as a scientist can predict the outcome of an experiment, the Tarot can help us read the current trends of our lives and see a probable outcome. I do not see the future as predetermined or set in stone, though, so it is always possible that you can change that trajectory, or an unknown factor can change it for you. So... sort of? :D

*If you are already a tarot-ist, how do you primarily use the cards? If you're still beginning, how do you see yourself using the cards in the future?
        I use the Tarot primarily as a tool for self-exploration. I have been delving into reading for others (OK, it's completely taken over my life... ), and exploring how the Tarot works in a much wider plane than I had suspected. Doing these readings has been great for building my confidence with the tarot, too.

Whew.
        ~mudweed~
        If you wish to know the divine, feel the wind on your face and the warm sun on your hand.
        the Buddha

mudweed is

Comment

First, what exactly do you think the Tarot is? What is its purpose? Explain it like you would to a friend who didn't understand
          IMO, Tarot is a way to access the Divine and/or Higher Self to help find out what is happening in the querent's life. It can help you delve deeper into the unknown and subconscious to assisit in finding out ways to progress in life.
          I hope to be able to use Tarot as a tool to help me figure out ways to enrich my life, to break out of some of the old patterns I repeat and see more deeply the "junk" I need to get rid of.
          Hmm, still working this out. I ask the Divine for assistance in pulling and reading the cards, yet I am not sure if They help in choosing the cards or it is more my own subconscious that does it. I do think that is it a blending of the two. Yet, ultimately it doesn't really matter. (hows that for an on the fence answer? : )

I am a beginner of over three years! LOL I typically use them for myself- Daily readings and insight for things happening in my life. I see that I will continue using them in this way- and I would liek to branch more into reading for others.

Comment

The tarot is a way to study my own psyche, and if I get tuned in to someone else's psyche, I might study that through looking at my reverberation of their vibes.

Hope to gain more insight in my feelings and thoughts. Using the tarot as another tool by which to explain my insights.

It works by connecting symbolism to my thought patterns. I can tell the future using tarot just as much as by using my own analytical capacity.

I'm still beginning. Right now, I don't see myself using them... If I would use them, it would be out of need, to have another take on my analysis. But who knows, perhaps I find that I'm good at this
            Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
            Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

Comment

In my tired state of mind, I'll try to answer these to the best of my ability.

The tarot is a set of symbols used to connect with the inner mind. From these symbols, one can get a view into the subconscious to interpret the symbols.

I hope to reconnect to my cards and, hopefully, be able to read more clearly than I have been in the past few months. I also want to be able to strengthen my intuition; to learn to trust it more, rather than question, which seems to be my nature at the moment.

I think that they are just a tool to help the reader connect with the inner mind to define symbols.

At the moment, I'm just doing daily readings for myself. I hope to be able to be one of the readers here, on MW, and *possibly* work up enough confidence to read IRL (however that will take a LOT of work)
              Still, I'd like to be able to read for myself and give myself an unbiased reading.

Comment

This is a wonderful idea. lets see...

the tarot is a way to connect with your intuition and the universe to find out the possibilities i your future.

I want to use the tarot as a way to find out if the decisions that I will make will be the correct ones and to help my friends to make decisions based on what the cards say.

I belive Spirit gives us signs and sometimes we are unable to see them. the tarot is a way for Spirit to show us the sings that we are unable or unwilling to see. I believe it does work. As far as telling the future...kind of. I think it tells you what can lie ahead if you continue on the path you are going without making any changes.

I'm still new to the tarot and I use them every night to help myself with their meanings. I would like to contniue to use them every night for myself as well as use them with my friends.
                One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today. - Dale Carnegie

sigpic

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. - Henry A. Kissinger

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for all the great replies! (I'm thinking of adding some of those to my personal tarot journal) I'm going to wait another day or so before starting on the cards themselves. Maybe I can dredge up a few more responses in the meantime.
                  ~mudweed~
                  the Buddha

mudweed is

Comment

This is a great idea mudweed! I'd really like to explore the tarot more indepth and to hear others view points on the cards.

Quote:

To me the tarot is a tool that we can use to touch the universal energy flowing in each of us. We can use it to explore our innermost selves and find a bit of direction in our lives.

Quote:

I hope to learn more about myself and my life direction and how we are all interconnected.

Quote:

It is my belief that the tarot helps us to touch the universal energy connecting us all and helps us to explore our lives using symbols that spark our curiosity and creativity. I also believe that it can help us predict that future by accessing our/another's past and present lifestyle and help us to determine the courses it may take in the future.

Quote:

I have been using the cards for quite a few years but there is just so much to learn about them that I have always, and probably always will, felt like a newbie to them. I primarily use them to help me figure out where my life is going, where I would like it to go, and what I have to be aware of my make my goals a reality.

Quote:
                    *Any other tarot-related information you'd like to share? Other questions about the tarot in general? Let's get a good discussion going here, so we can all deepen our understanding of the cards.

As far as questions go, I can't think of any at the moment, but I am sure that I will have lots as we get into the discussion.
                    Can't wait to get started!
                    Love & Light
                    D
                    Peace, Love & Light
                    D

Comment

ill respond tomorrow! i promise!! im all sortsa busy & stuff!!
                      but im still in!

Comment

Thanks Mudweed-- maybe this'll actually get me motivated to understand my cards better so I'm not constantly consulting the book for clarification and answers.
                        -Hastings
                        Thank You Faewyn, COS9, and Wynn Jera for my banners, and Dextra for my avatar. You ladies are wonderful
                        Come drop by The Twisted Tree

Comment

I'll so be answering all those questions and join this but I haft to wait until later because Im not feeling that good right now...
                          Some days are just but it soon becomes because of a

SOCKERKAKA!

Comment

Yay! It looks like this will be a good group.
                            mudweed, are we going to be just discussion the cards or will there be assignments and all?

Comment

Alright, im in better mood now. strange how this place is soo... nice and makes you feel so good.

Hmmm.... Tarot cards is a connection to a "higher power" (dont really wanna put names on it since I know christian ppl who read tarot cards) and also to your inner mind which where you can seek guidence or something like that *pretty hard to explain in words but I did a pretty good statement there didnt I? :hehehehe:*

What I hope to learn? I would like to know more about myself and stuff like that. Hard to explain.

Tell the future is always difficult I think because we make all the time decitions that changes them. But I think they do indeed work.

Im still a beginer and I see myself using the tarot cards in the future. I love tarot cards and well.... I think they are great, although I would like to buy another deck

None right now....
                              Some days are just but it soon becomes because of a

SOCKERKAKA!

Comment

Working...
                              X