Tarot Study Group: Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my answers! finally!!

*First, what exactly do you think the Tarot is? What is its purpose? Explain it like you would to a friend who didn't understand.*

Tarot is a tool to help you explore your unconscience. It helps your unconscience bring out what you already know, what your psyche can naturally sense, yet is blocked by your physical body & conscience. Tarot is a tool to help you understand your surroundings, yourself & your options in a certain situation.

*What do you hope to learn from the tarot? Or from studying and learning more about the tarot, if you don't plan to use it as a tool in your own life?

I hope to learn how to understand the cards more, and how they may help me interpert or understand what my unconscience is telling me. I want to learn how to read each card and how to get the right vibe from each card, how to connect/bond with my cards.

*How do you think the tarot works? Does it really? Can you tell the future with the tarot?

Like I've said in the first question. I also think that if one invokes an energy of a diety while reading Tarot, the specific god/goddess may help give the person insight on the reading & on what the cards may try to tell the person. I think Tarot can tell you of future developments in your life/a situation. But not a specific & detailed picture of the future. I think it can show you new paths or ideas that you didnt really think of, new options or ways of handling/looking at a situation.

*If you are already a tarot-ist, how do you primarily use the cards? If you're still beginning, how do you see yourself using the cards in the future?

I'd like to use it for my friends, if they need any help making an important choice. I'd like to give them insight and offer them an alternative way of observing the situation they are in. I'd like to do that also for myself. Not in a sense of depending on the cards to "tell me what to do", but in a sense of like a "second opinion" or an extra source of information as to making the right decision.

Comment

Sorry, my internet was a little sick for the past few days, I hope it's still ok that I join in?

*First, what exactly do you think the Tarot is? What is its purpose? Explain it like you would to a friend who didn't understand.*

Tarot is a tool, that like a computer, can be used by anyone who knows how. It is used to tap into higher consciousness, usually the readers or the querents. It can also, if used properly, be used to communicate with the Higher Power/Divine.

*What do you hope to learn from the tarot? Or from studying and learning more about the tarot, if you don't plan to use it as a tool in your own life?

I hope to learn how to use the cards to better connect with my subconscious and Divinity, in the hopes of using it as a life-thermometer or a way to check on my spiritual health.

*How do you think the tarot works? Does it really? Can you tell the future with the tarot?

I think that by instilling the cards with your energy, they become something of a spirit in themselves and can be used as a doorway between our world and the more subtle planes. Yes, I do believe that the tarot works, but as for forseeing the future, I believe that the tarot is only used to show you what will happen if you do not change yourself, allowing for you to control your future if it's something less than pleasent. (I couldn't think of a better term than control... I still do believe in some sort of fate, but the tarot allows you to see what road you're on now and adjust if you feel the need.)

*If you are already a tarot-ist, how do you primarily use the cards? If you're still beginning, how do you see yourself using the cards in the future?

I could see myself using them to give me a second opinion on some difficult choices, use them to further my connection to the Higher Consciousness and/or the Divine, and as a meditation tool. If I get to a point where I feel comfortable reading for myself enough to read for other people, and someone was confident enough in my skills to ask me, I would do readings for people.. but I don't think I'm anywhere near that good enough yet >.<
      Last edited by aftershocked; April 27th, 2004, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Please, join in at any time.
        ~mudweed~
        If you wish to know the divine, feel the wind on your face and the warm sun on your hand.
        the Buddha

mudweed is

Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha

Comment

im very interested dont have time right now to answer the questions but will do later today.
          i used to read tarot all the time for myself and my friends and family. then i had kids and well yea lost touch with them and now i dont have my deck(kids got a hold of them 3 months ago)
          i would like to say i believe in them 100% for very good reasons lol
          anyways ill be back
          My new site check it out http://overlookamanda.tripod.com/

"Between now and you is a few hundred days, thousands of tears, and a great deal of dreaming. When those few hundred days have passed, when those thousands of tears have been shed, and when I have dreamt a great deal of dreams, I will be with you, and it will be pure magic!"

~Daddies need to grow up too
          Learn what they should and they shouldn't do
          In a way they're alot like you
          Daddies stumble Daddies fall
          They don't really know it all~

Comment

I'll be posting my takes on the Fool and the Magician this weekend. I haven't had a chance to at night, and can't really pull out my cards for extended periods at work

Banners by Cloakie

Comment

yay!
              ~mudweed~
              If you wish to know the divine, feel the wind on your face and the warm sun on your hand.
              the Buddha

mudweed is

Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha

Comment

I would like to know how it is that you join the tarrot study group. I would really like to learn.
                please and thank you fire faerie

Comment

You just joined See the other threads started in this forum by mudweed They're labeled "Tarot study group". Feel free to respond in any of them
                  Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
                  Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

Comment

What is the tarot & what is it's purpose? I'm still working on that lol. It's many things to me: a guidebook, a meditation tool, a divination tool, a way to interpret dreams, I'm starting to get intersted in Crowley too.

What do I hope to learn from the tarot? Whatever it sees fit to teach me. I have no set ideas and the purpose of a reading changes from situation to situation. Mostly, I'm hoping to develop my psychic abilities and use it to help me find my way through life, also as a way to opening to higher consciousness more.

How do I think the tarot works? Does it really? Can you tell the future with the tarot? I'm only new at this, so my theories need to be taken with a grain of salt lol... here goes: Everything we do, everything we think, everything we feel and everything that happens involves energy of some kind (even thinking and feeling involves measurable chemical/electrical processes), therefore, if you go about it the right way, you should be able to tap into that energy, right? I think how much you can see regarding any given situation depends on a lot of factors, but seeing as everything in life involves energy, it makes sense to think that that energy can be 'read'... also, I think the symbolism etc has a power of it's own (due to tribal consciousness maybe??) and can be a powerful tool for tapping into your subconsious mind. Foretelling the future... I believe the future is mutable, but it's possible to see 'likelihoods'... events that are being shaped, sort of thing... stronger impressions if they're quite likely to happen, more tentative if there are still a lot of 'maybes' in the situation...

How do I use the cards? Meditation, guidance through problems etc, together with the kabbalah and astrology, divination. I tried my hand at doing 'cold' readings (for ppl I don't know) for the first time today (at the local market) and it was scary to start with but I really enjoyed it... it helped get rid of that element of doubt (am I just making things up?) and I wasn't second guessing myself so much.

Any other information? I think I've dribbled enough for one post... A question though... Does the self-doubt ever go away? I'm totally no good at using the tarot for divination in my own life - I never trust what I see (if it's good I think I'm seeing what I want to see, if it's bad I think I'm seeing my fears, if it's in between - like most readings - I think I'm just fitting my life to the cards). Reading for strangers today helped a bit - I was surprised that I was accurate and it gave me some confidence - but I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness (it's a thing of the past now) and I'm having some issues with trusting my readings (I'm an intuitive reader mostly, I also channel). Does trusting yourself just come with time and practice?

Phoenix :-)
                    "There's a world beyond what we can see and touch, and that world lives by it's own laws. What may be impossible in this very ordinary world is very possible there, and sometimes the boundaries between these two worlds disappear, and then who is to say what is possible and impossible?" ~ D. Eddings

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixCOF
                      Any other information? I think I've dribbled enough for one post... A question though... Does the self-doubt ever go away? I'm totally no good at using the tarot for divination in my own life - I never trust what I see (if it's good I think I'm seeing what I want to see, if it's bad I think I'm seeing my fears, if it's in between - like most readings - I think I'm just fitting my life to the cards). Reading for strangers today helped a bit - I was surprised that I was accurate and it gave me some confidence - but I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness (it's a thing of the past now) and I'm having some issues with trusting my readings (I'm an intuitive reader mostly, I also channel). Does trusting yourself just come with time and practice?

Hi Phoenix! When you read for yourself, try meditating and clearing your mind. Even though you may "lie to yourself" deep in your heart you'll know what your spirit guides are trying to tell you. Keep your reading in mind as you go along in life, and you will recall the reading and know what was true. It's all about faith.

Since we've been raised with such different ideas about faith, and I assume that paganism was rejected in the religion you were taught, it's more of a guilty concience about trusting inner self than anything else. Time and practice will be on your side as you develop faith in your inborn ability to contact your inner (spiritual) guide.

Hope I make sense to you. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Gigi
                        Hi Phoenix! When you read for yourself, try meditating and clearing your mind. Even though you may "lie to yourself" deep in your heart you'll know what your spirit guides are trying to tell you. Keep your reading in mind as you go along in life, and you will recall the reading and know what was true. It's all about faith.

Since we've been raised with such different ideas about faith, and I assume that paganism was rejected in the religion you were taught, it's more of a guilty concience about trusting inner self than anything else. Time and practice will be on your side as you develop faith in your inborn ability to contact your inner (spiritual) guide.

Hope I make sense to you. :-)
                        Thanks for that Gigi! It feels like you hit the nail right on the head - I think I ended up with a few more hangups than I originally thought. Though I left the JWs a lot of years ago, it was a long time before I did anything that was blatantly against the beliefs I grew up with, so it wouldn't surprise me if there's some residual guilt... funny I didn't think of that (Lol... paganism wasn't just rejected, if they were still allowed to burn witches, my folks would probably be willing to light the match).

I'll try what you've suggested and see how it goes. I've also gone back to doing simple daily readings for myself - I feel like I've lost touch with my cards a little and it just might be time to get back to basics and get past these hangups - enough alread! lol

Thanks,

"There's a world beyond what we can see and touch, and that world lives by it's own laws. What may be impossible in this very ordinary world is very possible there, and sometimes the boundaries between these two worlds disappear, and then who is to say what is possible and impossible?" ~ D. Eddings

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixCOF
                          Thanks for that Gigi! It feels like you hit the nail right on the head - I think I ended up with a few more hangups than I originally thought. Though I left the JWs a lot of years ago, it was a long time before I did anything that was blatantly against the beliefs I grew up with, so it wouldn't surprise me if there's some residual guilt... funny I didn't think of that (Lol... paganism wasn't just rejected, if they were still allowed to burn witches, my folks would probably be willing to light the match).

I'll try what you've suggested and see how it goes. I've also gone back to doing simple daily readings for myself - I feel like I've lost touch with my cards a little and it just might be time to get back to basics and get past these hangups - enough alread! lol

Thanks,

Glad to help!

Comment

Originally posted by mudweed
                            I'm starting a card by card discussion of the Tarot, for those who are just learning as well as those who are already familiar with the cards. (Those of you who expressed interest had better get in here and discuss, too )

Not sure how to join, but I think this may do it. I will answer these questions as best I can.

Before we get started on the cards, though, I think it's important that we explore what exactly we think the tarot can do for us, and what it means to each of us. The following questions are mostly adapted from, or inspired by, the few resources I have here.

*First, what exactly do you think the Tarot is? What is its purpose? Explain it like you would to a friend who didn't understand.

Tarot to me is a tool for divination. This tool will tell me that if things remain the same this is the possible course they will take. Depending on the type of spread it may give me advice on how to proceed for the best possible outcome.

I find the Tarot to be very fascinating both as a tool for divination, and for the study of the symbology of the cards. As a Seeker of information I love to learn anything new. I will pay vast sums of money to get information that I think I need LOL When I can find it for free, I'm in high cotton.

Well that is a tough question. Yes it can give us insights into the possible outcome(s). I don't really think that any divination is something that is etched in stone. All sorts of input and differing/changing circumstances can change the future. Heck even the act of reading the Tarot gives you tools to change outcomes for a better result.

Oh gad I use any excuse to read the Tarot, or more often I use the Lakota Sweat Lodge Cards, which give me great insights into methods for expanding my spirituality. These may include but are not limited to:

actions to improve my situation, rituals that should be performed, insights into other thoughts and feeling. This list goes on and on.

*Any other tarot-related information you'd like to share? Other questions about the tarot in general? Let's get a good discussion going here, so we can all deepen our understanding of the cards.
                            I really recommend these books:
                            Tarot Mysteries--Jonathan Dee
                            Jung and Tarot An Archetypal Journey--Sallie Nichols
                            Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners--Joan Bunning

I also like the Lakota Sweat Lodge Cards, however, these are not Tarot cards perse.

Shatril

Ask, believe, receive. Thoughts become things!
                            I've made it a point not to regret anything I've done, there is no point in it because you can't change it~~RunningRiot
                            democracy is a failed system, people are just too stupid to realise their votes never matter anymore~~Valnorran

Comment

Originally posted by mudweed
                              I'm starting a card by card discussion of the Tarot, for those who are just learning as well as those who are already familiar with the cards. (Those of you who expressed interest had better get in here and discuss, too )

Before we get started on the cards, though, I think it's important that we explore what exactly we think the tarot can do for us, and what it means to each of us. The following questions are mostly adapted from, or inspired by, the few resources I have here.

*First, what exactly do you think the Tarot is? What is its purpose? Explain it like you would to a friend who didn't understand.

*Any other tarot-related information you'd like to share? Other questions about the tarot in general? Let's get a good discussion going here, so we can all deepen our understanding of the cards.
                              The tarot is an acient system used for 100s of years to understand the past, and present, and divine the future

Comment

Working...
                              X