No announcement yet.

Tarot Study: The High Priestess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shatril, nice piece of work! I hope to see more of this. From your recommended reading, which one goes in detail with regard to the symbols in the cards? Does it specify each symbol of all the UW cards? I always get stomped on the names of the images the author decides to place in each particular card, and feel that I have a blockage from reading the cards because I don't know the symbols. <Anxiously waiting your reply>

Comment

I'm particularly interested in the Jung and the Tarot book. :D Sounds pretty spiffy! The Joan Bunning book, btw, is the one online at http://www.learntarot.com/
      ~mudweed~
      If you wish to know the divine, feel the wind on your face and the warm sun on your hand.
      the Buddha

mudweed is

Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha

Comment

The High Priestess from my deck (which chryssi1 has posted as well) evokes a sensation of clarity, tranquility, and wisdom.

An older woman, no doubt in the 'crone' stage of her life stands in a blue-purple robe with a yellow cloak. Blue and purple both symbolize to me intuition and wisdom. Yellow in turn signifies mental activity to me; wisdom, intelligence, focus. She is adorned with a circlet featuring an upright crescant moon, which reflects a Goddess or femine aspect of divinity, as well as being connected to the moon which represents dreams, intuition, divination, and wisdom to me. In her right hand she holds a glowing crystal ball, telling me she is looking into the past, present, or future for clarity and insight. In her left hand she holds a sceptar tipped with a dragon that represents her attunement to the astral realms and her own spiritual guides.

Her face reflects a quiet contemplation. She sees the truth within her crystal ball, yet faces it without fear or doubt, regardless of what her visions bring. Her grey hair flies to one side, which reinforces the idea in my own mind that what she sees in her crystal ball is so powerful it would overwhelm anyone without her training and dedication. She seems to be undetoured in her quest for divine clarity, yet appears humble, knowing full well she does not posess all the answers or the absolute truth, no matter how much she peers into her crystal ball.

Behind her are two dragons, one dark, one light, and they seem to have an almost playful feud going on. They represent the conflicting and hidden forces that surround us all. Dark and light, night and day, deception and truth, the hidden and the revealed, yin and yang. While they do seem to have a certain animosity for one another, deep down I feel they know that without the other one they would cease, which is reflected by the smoke rising from their nostrils; coming from each of them and uniting into one smoke cloud above them.

Key words & phrases I associate with The High Priestess:

Conscious and unconscious
        Clarity
        Psychic ability
        Hidden forces
        Mysteries
        Balancing forces within
        Spiritual attunement
        The unknown
        Not seeing things clearly
        Unwillingness to see the truth
        Imbalance within
        Last edited by Aidron; June 13th, 2004, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gigi
          Shatril, nice piece of work! I hope to see more of this. From your recommended reading, which one goes in detail with regard to the symbols in the cards? Does it specify each symbol of all the UW cards? I always get stomped on the names of the images the author decides to place in each particular card, and feel that I have a blockage from reading the cards because I don't know the symbols. <Anxiously waiting your reply>
          Oh gosh GIGI I missed this communication entirely. I was away from my computer for a while about this time.

I guess the book that gives the greatest details on symbolism is the Jonathan Dee book when it comes to readings. The Jung book gives great detail of the symbolism as it relates to the psychological meanings of the cards. This is useful if you are letting the person you are reading for, pick the cards based on the ones that appeal most to them. At that point it is almost doing a psychological reading for them. I like doing that, but if you aren't adept at the psychological part, it doesn't work very well. So I guess what I'm saying is it depends on what you want to get out of the book.

Shatril

Ask, believe, receive. Thoughts become things!
          I've made it a point not to regret anything I've done, there is no point in it because you can't change it~~RunningRiot
          democracy is a failed system, people are just too stupid to realise their votes never matter anymore~~Valnorran

Comment

The High Priestess

this is probably my favorite tarot card!

to me this is all about the unconscious mind... Moon energy, water, exploration of the unknown within. perhaps the most mysterious card in the pack, especially considering her place so early in the progression of the trumps. but very rewarding if you can manage to crack her secrets.

my meditations on this card usually involve being immersed in a river, the beginning and end of which are completely unknown to me. early in my studies i would never let go of the rocks on the bank, preferring to just let the waters flow by me where they will.
            but these days i willingly let go of my secure position near the bank, and let the waters carry me where they will. however, i always seem to come to a point where going further gets a bit scary, and i swim for the new, unfamiliar shore and presumed safety.
            but each meditation i go a little further.

what's at the end?
            ahhh, that's the mystery!

("Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream...")
            some people are like slinkies -
            not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shatril
              Oh gosh GIGI I missed this communication entirely. I was away from my computer for a while about this time.

I guess the book that gives the greatest details on symbolism is the Jonathan Dee book when it comes to readings. The Jung book gives great detail of the symbolism as it relates to the psychological meanings of the cards. This is useful if you are letting the person you are reading for, pick the cards based on the ones that appeal most to them. At that point it is almost doing a psychological reading for them. I like doing that, but if you aren't adept at the psychological part, it doesn't work very well. So I guess what I'm saying is it depends on what you want to get out of the book.

Shatril
              Thanks, Shatril. I am going to take a look at Jonathan Dee's book. Carl Jung, I'm surprised to learn, was also somehow involved with mysticism. I remember studying about him in my psychology class in high school, and his name always stayed in my mind. Therefore, I have to really check into his theories.

Thanks for answering back! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Gigi
                Thanks, Shatril. I am going to take a look at Jonathan Dee's book. Carl Jung, I'm surprised to learn, was also somehow involved with mysticism. I remember studying about him in my psychology class in high school, and his name always stayed in my mind. Therefore, I have to really check into his theories.

Thanks for answering back! :-)
                Carl Jung work is largely remembered for the work he did on archetypes. As the tarot is full of archetypes it isn't a wonder that he would use it in his studies. I have been trying to locate a book by Joseph Campbell that might deal with the archetypes of the tarot, but have not been successful. If anyone knows of one let me know.

:bouncybob

Ask, believe, receive. Thoughts become things!
                I've made it a point not to regret anything I've done, there is no point in it because you can't change it~~RunningRiot
                democracy is a failed system, people are just too stupid to realise their votes never matter anymore~~Valnorran

Comment

Carl Jung work is largely remembered for the work he did on archetypes. As the tarot is full of archetypes it isn't a wonder that he would use it in his studies. I have been trying to locate a book by Joseph Campbell that might deal with the archetypes of the tarot, but have not been successful. If anyone knows of one let me know.

:bouncybob
                  If you go to barnesandnoble.com, you can search on Books: "archetypes of the tarot"

There's several authors there and I don't know if you have a preference. I'm going to check into them myself by spending a lovely day at B&N (that is when I can get some time lol)

Gigi

Comment

I have been trying to locate a book by Joseph Campbell that might deal with the archetypes of the tarot, but have not been successful. If anyone knows of one let me know.
                    me too!

i have Sallie Nichols book on the subject, 'Jung and Tarot; An Archetypal Journey', which is pretty good (ISBN 0877285152). but i'd LOVE to read Joe Campbell's thoughts on this.
                    some people are like slinkies -
                    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Comment

Working...
                    X