Tarot Study: The Hierophant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarot Study: The Hierophant

The next is the Hierophant. Please look at this picture free of any associations you previously had. Do you notice anything new about the card? Try free-writing about this card to open up your mind to new things.
    ~mudweed~
    If you wish to know the divine, feel the wind on your face and the warm sun on your hand.
    the Buddha

mudweed is

Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha

Hierophant: some meanings

Some of the meanings for this card are:

*education
    *belief systems
    *conformity
    *group identification
    *the powers that be
    *conventional wisdom
    *traditions
    *"don't rock the boat"
    *blessing
    *conscience
    *religion

What do you think about these meaning? Any to add? Any that don't seem right?

If you use reversals, how would these meanings change (and if you feel up to it, why?)
    ~mudweed~
    If you wish to know the divine, feel the wind on your face and the warm sun on your hand.
    the Buddha

mudweed is

Comment

Hierophant: Affirmation, archetypes, and correspondences

Affirmation:
      "I commit my obedience only where and when my higher self directs."
      Archetypes:
      The Empire (Star Wars)
      Kansas (Oz)
      The Pope
      Public Education

And now, a little something new... some correspondences I found. Let me know what you think. (I of course have these for the other cards, but will not be adding them to those threads unless interest is expressed.)
      Astrological: Taurus
      Musical Note: C#
      Color: Red-orange
      Gem: Topaz, Carnelian, Lapis Lazuli
      Animal: Bull
      Plant: Mallow, Sugar Cane
      Magical Weapon: (???) Labor of preparation
      Perfume: Storax
      ~mudweed~
      the Buddha

mudweed is

Comment

I agree with all of that Mudweed. In addition to what you have, I also see self confidence and self esteem. Use your intuition to do whats right. I see this through the pillars meaning balance and the blue scarf at his throat chakra.
        One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today. - Dale Carnegie

sigpic

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. - Henry A. Kissinger

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Comment

I am one of those people who has a hard time relating to this card. It automatically gives me the sense of being back in CCD where the priest was "holier than thou," demanded respect, and did not like being questioned. I know that someday I need to move past that, but I haven't been able to as of yet.

The pillars suggest balance- they reflect those in the High Priestess card- but this are more "traditional" inlbalance, more rigid than in hers. His red robes and crown signify high stature in his field, the crown emphasizes wisdom and knowledge. The keys also represent knowledge. The two men are listening to him, but not interuppting. They accept what he says as truth. (Can you see where my thoughts are coming from? )

My Blog: The Musings of Faery-Wings

Comment

The Celtic Dragon card is the High Priest. He is wearing blue robes- a softer more approachable person. he has a wand and scepter- it shows that he has wisdom and knowledge. the scepter has a dragon wrapped around it- to me that is hows that he is accepted by them. That raises him up in my eyes quite a bit. heh. Behind him there is a tapestry with a black and a white dragon facing each other- for balance. They, and the designs around them are intwined, and I see that as showing the dragons, the preist and ourselves as interconnected. He is an older man with lines on his face- signifying life experiences and wisdon.

I like this card much better than UW's.Can you tell?

My Blog: The Musings of Faery-Wings

Comment

Interpretation

I have to say that I'm really intriged by this card. After reading "The Hiram Key" about the history of Freemasonry, I hadn't been back to this card. There are a number of things that come out based on that.

1) The two pillars are at the side of this figure. They relate well to the Joachim and Boaz Pillars used during the rituals by the Masons. Similar to the High Priestess card whick is even labeled with J & B, wow!

2) I have also noticed that the aspect is quite definitely female in aspect. This I find very interesting as well.

I cant for the life of me remember what the two crossed keys mean but that sounds like openning something or unlocking something.

Other than these insights I can't really remember what else there is to this card, without getting my book out.

Free relations:

wisdom
              unlock
              ancient
              worship
              femmine
              compassion
              organized religion
              regal

Shatril

Ask, believe, receive. Thoughts become things!
              I've made it a point not to regret anything I've done, there is no point in it because you can't change it~~RunningRiot
              democracy is a failed system, people are just too stupid to realise their votes never matter anymore~~Valnorran

Comment

Hi, mudweed.. don't want you thinking I dropped out of the class, so I figured I'd post *something*.. I don't quite understand this card, although my Ancestral Path deck seems to connect it with me for some reason.. So, since I apparenly am drawn to that card, I'll use it.

This scan (taken from BlueCat's Den ) doesn't really do this card justice.. It's interesting that the Heirophant in this deck is female, where most other decks have male Heirophants/High Priests (Maybe this has some significance I don't know of?). I hadn't seen this card before buying the deck (I'd only seen 2 or 3), but right away this card felt connected to me. I'll have to admit that I don't get the traditional meanings from this one at all. Personally, I see a woman of power- for some reason she reminds me of Cleopatra- seated before two of her followers. She feels very much like the high priestess, although unlike my High Priestess, who is seated indoors (Or.. somewhere else- it's not made clear) the artist made sure you could tell that the Heirophant was outside, with the trees and sky in the background. I've always seen this card as an extention, or complement of the HPs. Although both seem to be a connection between higher and lower energies, the HPs seems to be the side farther away (closer to the Divine) and the Heirophant seems to be closer to us (reaching up towards the divine). This seems ot signify that the Heirophant is.. wow, like I was when I bought my AP deck. I bought it to connect myself with the Divine. Never looked at it that way before.

Meanings I give the card:
                bridge to the Divine
                earthly connections
                Conventional wisdom
                Earthly knowledge ("street wise")

Hmm.. I'll have to do more work with this one. Now I'm intrigued

Comment

The Hierophant sits before two men. For me red signifies action, seeing that the Hierophant wears a red robe he/she stands for someone you seek to get something done, or to ask advice from, before one does something. He/She is holding a staff on his/her left hand, and has his/her right hand in a sort of greeting. I don’t know what either means, but if I did it will help me more to know what the men may be seeking. His/Her robe is decorated with white, and it has 3 crosses. A cross to me signifies truths, I don’t know why that is, but it does.

The two gentlemen may be seeking for knowledge and truth; or they may stand before the Hierophant to ask for guidance. There are two keys between the men that make me think they are seeking something, or hold the key to enter into a different realm. The Hierophant has the authority, or attention, of the two men. He can guide them.

The Hierophant is a more earthly being, then the other cards. In the other cards (I-IV of the UW tarot) you saw the images by themselves, but this card actually includes two men in it showing that the Hierophant has a direct link to men. He/She is approachable for seekers of truths.

Comment

Hi, Mudweed!

Before I go over my thoughts of the meanings list, I would like to learn some things.

What kind of sceptre is the Hierophant holding on his/her left hand?

What significance is the way he/she holds her right hand?

The background has a neutral color as opposed to the other images in this card, is there a particular reason?

The men in the card, are their dress and haircut significant to any group? for example priests, or culture?

Once I check this, I would like to give a try in regard to the meanings you listed.

Gigi

Comment

You and the questions, Gigi. Always send me scrambling for the books. I love it. :D

OK. The Scepter and hand gesture: This card used to be called the pope, but the name was changed, I assume because "pope" is a much more narrow term than Hierophant. The scepter is (I'm not sure on this one) the symbol of his papal authority, while he holds his hand in a pose of blessing. Ah... the triple cross is the crosier, and represents the Trinity. Oooh, info tidbit:
                      In the Roman Catholic Church, the crosier can be traced back to the walking staffs used by the twelve apostles. Ancient Roman astronomers also used staffs similar to those carried by bishops of the early Church. The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot and Fortune-Telling

I would guess the men to be priests. They have the traditional tonsure haircut. Remember the monks who had that?

I think the last thing was about the background, and I'm not sure if its neutrality had any significance other than to maintain the focus on the main figure, with his gold crown, and white-trimmed red robes.

Enough info? Too much? If anyone else has things to correct or add, feel free.
                      ~mudweed~
                      the Buddha

mudweed is

Comment

Hmmm, well, the hierophant himself makes me think of a sort of traducer of the goddess' word: he announce to the people what she wants to tell them
                        He also makes me think of a druid or a sage: he tells peoples good phylosophy and his knowledge of life.

I always saw the hierophant like a man, a woman, well, a person that announces you a news, good or bad, and who translates you whatever that is needed to be heard for the good will of our path
                        I am the woman of the earth,
                        I see the sun at each day's birth,
                        I hold the moon in my right hand,
                        I am between the sea and sand,
                        I am the nimbus in the sky,
                        Look throught the cristal see me fly. . .

*spiral dance*

Comment

I got curious about the Crosier and found the following in the Catholic Encyclopedia (a great source book on line) It is interesting to note that the Pope hasn't carried one of those since 1250CE or some such.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04515c.htm

Shatril
                          Last edited by Xentor; June 6th, 2004, 09:11 AM. Reason: Copyright violation

Ask, believe, receive. Thoughts become things!
                          I've made it a point not to regret anything I've done, there is no point in it because you can't change it~~RunningRiot
                          democracy is a failed system, people are just too stupid to realise their votes never matter anymore~~Valnorran

Comment

Originally posted by mudweed
                            You and the questions, Gigi. Always send me scrambling for the books. I love it. :D
                            Ask and you shall learn!

I'll look up some more stuff and get back to the assignment.

Thanks!

Gigi

Comment

I relate this card to a person seeking spiritual guidance. In the RW deck, the Hierophant is shown with two young children; and rather than facing the Hierophant, they are praying together, towards each other. Also in this card, you can see carvings of a male and female face, as well as sheep and workers. What do these carvings signify? Anyone?

Comment

Working...
                              X