• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarot Study: The Hermit

The next card is The Hermit .

The R-W version:
    ~mudweed~
    If you wish to know the divine, feel the wind on your face and the warm sun on your hand.
    the Buddha

mudweed is

Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha

The Hermit: Some meanings

Introspection
    Searching
    Guidance
    Solitude
    Seclusion
    Loners
    Withdrawal
    Patience
    A Person who exhibits the characteristics of the Hermit
    Mentoring
    A Teacher or Guide
    Quest for Knowledge
    Orientation to the Past
    Indicates a long period of time for an outcome
    Travel
    Maturity
    ~mudweed~
    If you wish to know the divine, feel the wind on your face and the warm sun on your hand.
    the Buddha

mudweed is

Comment

The Hermit: Correspondences

Astrological Sign: VIrgo
      Musical Note: F
      Color: Yellow-green
      Gem: Peridot, Bloodstone
      Animal: Rhinoceros, Dog
      Plant: Snowdrop, Aspen, Narcissus (Anaphrodisiacs)
      ~mudweed~
      the Buddha

mudweed is

Comment

The Hermit-IX

The Hermit IX

The Monk, The Old Man, The Veiled Lamp, The Wise One

This card corresponds with Virgo

This card symbolizes old age and infirmity. The dim light symbolizes the dimming life force itself. The Hermit treads a dark path; solitary but not lonely. This unknown path is chosen to pursue a personal quest rather than what society has ordained. This card is associated with Virgo whose planet is Mercury and the Hermit’s staff symbolizes this, however, this card is certainly a depiction of Saturn the lord of the passage of inexorable time. Some descriptions say that this is the lost tarot virtue of prudence, which would complete the four virtues represented in tarot: strength, justice, and temperance. This would in some ways fit since the card is associated with Virgo and would have its attributes of caution, thoughtfulness and a prudent attitude to life and its problems. The lantern symbolizes inner guidance and truth.

C. Jung psychology views the Hermit as taking a solitary trip, away from the hubbub of everyday life to find inner enlightenment. It is the path less traveled for most people in this day and age. In our pursuit of worldly possessions, we are forced into the crowd. “Today, the notion that we are a lonely crowd has become a cliché. Psychologists have told us how we mask our stony isolation in a spurious compulsive togetherness, which has little connections with human relationship.”2 They have shown us how we defend our tender insecurities with the armor of social conformity. Sometimes we can see these terrifying insights in daily dramas, such as the “isolation” of the rush hour subway rider while crushed in a crowd. They are alone in a crowd, in the daily pursuit of worldly goods. The Hermit suggests isolation of the type that renews, and enlightens. The Hermit need not be solitary forever, and would return when he has become enlightened and teach.

The number of the card is IX and is the trinity of trinities. It is often related to gestation and initiation. Nine months is the gestation period of humans. The Neo-platonist, and Eleusian mysteries held the number 9 sacred. There are death rights after nine days, Novenalia was celebrated every nine years, novenas are prayed for nine days to bring souls out of purgatory. It may be connected with the 9th month of September, which begins within the sign of Virgo. In Jewish tradition Virgo falls within the month of Elul, the time of preparation for the “Days of Awe.” http://www.peaknet.org/webpages/havu...s/awedays.html
        This period is spent in inner reflection and assessing the sincerity of our motives. The Hebrew letter associated with the Hermit is Yod whose number is 10, and by the rules of numerology returns to one, the first path, the road of the Fool of card 0. “Therefore, the Hermit can be seen as an aspect of this original traveler, now careworn, burdened by age and who has become a possessor of great wisdom and experience.”

Mathematically, nine is mysterious, because it always returns to itself. 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9=45, the sum of 4+5=9. 9+9=18; sum of 1+8=9. Also 9 multiplied by any number from 1 to 9 produces a number that reduces to 9. It is easy to see why 9 is the number of initiations into self realization because one must always return to ones self.

In a reading: this card means to me solitude, introspection, initiation, guidance, searching. Search for enlightenment in solitude. Coming back to the company of ones self, to attain order in ones mind. This also may indicate that the plans you have may take time to come to fruition. The card is also wisdom gained from experience, and the passage of time. The issues may take a while to resolve.

The hermit reveals that you can consider it a lost day if you don’t learn something new; as there is always something new to learn. This may be learned from a mature person. If this is a health issue the Hermit means that there will be time needed for convalescence.

I goofed up the links sorry, they just opposite but they are both linked.

1) Tarot Mysteries: Rediscovering the Real Meanings of the Cards--Jonathan Dee

2) Jung and Tarot:An Archetypal Journey--Sallie Nichols

Ask, believe, receive. Thoughts become things!
        I've made it a point not to regret anything I've done, there is no point in it because you can't change it~~RunningRiot
        democracy is a failed system, people are just too stupid to realise their votes never matter anymore~~Valnorran

Comment

Thanks a million

Mudweed,

I have been trying desperately to get back to using my tarot. This class has given me the motivation to do that. It has immersed me in the study of the cards at a whole new level. That of the symbolism and psychological meaning. I had two books just sitting waiting for me to read, and this has broken that task down into reasonable chuncks. I probably would still have those books on my shelf waiting to be read if it weren't for this class. I have been doing my readings with only half of the meaning. After doing this studying, understanding the Archetypes and symbolism the level of my readings is much greater. All I can say is Merci, Graci, Thanks and WOW. Thx for you effort in producing all this great references. I have started a Tarot section in my computer BOS.

Blessed Be,
          Shatril

Ask, believe, receive. Thoughts become things!
          I've made it a point not to regret anything I've done, there is no point in it because you can't change it~~RunningRiot
          democracy is a failed system, people are just too stupid to realise their votes never matter anymore~~Valnorran

Comment

The hermit seems to be walking in the clouds. He seems saddened and providing a shining light for guidance. This card gives me a feeling of quiet time, time to meditate. The star he holds on his right hand is what he gives to us, shining light when all is dark and we feel alone. The staff on his left hand is his power. His robe is gray, which brings me the feeling of a sad occasion. His white beard shows me his intention is pure, and he comes with old wisdom, which is useful to understand all our sorrows.

Comment

I must admit Mudweed, I always get nervous when I put my feelings towards the cards you display, since I don't know much about the cards. But I'm so glad you give us time to look and pick up "stories" from them. Then when you share the keywords, I'm like "ahhh"

Thanks!

Introspection - Yes a time to medidate and seek within oneself for that guiding light which we all have
              Searching - searching for meanings, answers, paths, truths, wisdom
              Guidance - yes
              Solitude - I feel that the solitude is needed to reflect upon the message of the card, not so much of being alone.
              Seclusion - in order to reflect on our lives, or present situations.
              Loners - nope, I don't get this from the card. I feel the hermit is there to guide, not so much wanting to be alone.
              Withdrawal - hmmm, I don't know
              Patience - yes
              A Person who exhibits the characteristics of the Hermit - ? I really have to look that up. I don't even know a proper definition for hermit. Mudweed, I think I may really have to see what a hermit is to read this card right lol
              Mentoring - yes
              A Teacher or Guide - yes
              Quest for Knowledge - yes
              Orientation to the Past - ?
              Indicates a long period of time for an outcome - yes, I feel that one must have patience and open our minds, but it may definitely require time.
              Travel - nope
              Maturity - not necessarily

Comment

hermit: NOUN: 1. A person who has withdrawn from society and lives a solitary existence; a recluse.

Okay, I got the definition of hermit. But I stand with my initial "feeling" of the card. I mean, what makes the hermit a recluse, why does he withdraw from society? Maybe it's so he won't be misguided when looking into his inner self. Not so much because he is a loner.

I see he has a star as his lantern. Does he medidate with this? Is that his concentration point (like when I use a flame to medidate)? Does he hold it out to guide seekers of the truth?

Comment

Originally posted by Gigi
                  The hermit seems to be walking in the clouds. He seems saddened and providing a shining light for guidance. This card gives me a feeling of quiet time, time to meditate. The star he holds on his right hand is what he gives to us, shining light when all is dark and we feel alone. The staff on his left hand is his power. His robe is gray, which brings me the feeling of a sad occasion. His white beard shows me his intention is pure, and he comes with old wisdom, which is useful to understand all our sorrows.

You described this so perfectly. I was looking for description. Thank you.
                  I'd like to thank SkySilver and Faeawyn for the banners.

Comment

Originally posted by Shatril
                    Mudweed,

I have been trying desperately to get back to using my tarot. This class has given me the motivation to do that. It has immersed me in the study of the cards at a whole new level. That of the symbolism and psychological meaning. I had two books just sitting waiting for me to read, and this has broken that task down into reasonable chuncks. I probably would still have those books on my shelf waiting to be read if it weren't for this class. I have been doing my readings with only half of the meaning. After doing this studying, understanding the Archetypes and symbolism the level of my readings is much greater. All I can say is Merci, Graci, Thanks and WOW. Thx for you effort in producing all this great references. I have started a Tarot section in my computer BOS.

Blessed Be,
                    Shatril
                    Shatril - You are an inspiration. :shift: I feel priviledged amongs the company of great scholars as you. :uhhuhuh: Thank you for your insight.
                    I'd like to thank SkySilver and Faeawyn for the banners.

Comment

Working...
                    X