Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarot Deck Reccomendations?

Hey guys,

I have the typical Rider-Waite tarot deck. Problem is it was purchased for me by a false-friend, and perhaps due to this I've often felt like I've had problems with the deck itself. Could be psychological, could be that I simply feel dis-associated with them or am still harbouring negative energy. I mean...they work, but I don't feel like they 'like' me, if that makes any sense.

Point is I'm looking for one of two things.

1). I'm curious if there is a way that I can change the relationship between me and these cards? I'd like to learn how to cleanse them (I don't think they've ever been cleansed) and I'd like to try to start over with them if at all possible.

2). If that doesn't work, and I'm still not feeling 'right' with them I'm wondering if anyone can recommend another good, general, tarot deck that follows the same rules as the Universal. 22 major arcana, 4 suits [Wands/Chalices/Pentacle/Swords.] of 14 minor, including King/Queen/Knight/Page cards. I only say this because I'm still a beginner and the books I have purchased to help me learn all use the same deck that I am using. I think finding a deck with the same setup will logically be much easier on me to learn.

I'm strongly interested in nature, shamanism, anthropomorphic/zoomorphic animals, ancient egypt and/or water themes.

Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by ChasingRabbits View Post

1). I'm curious if there is a way that I can change the relationship between me and these cards? I'd like to learn how to cleanse them (I don't think they've ever been cleansed) and I'd like to try to start over with them if at all possible.
    Yes, you can always try cleansing your cards. There are many ideas on card cleansing here or you can cleanse with incense as well.

2). If that doesn't work, and I'm still not feeling 'right' with them I'm wondering if anyone can recommend another good, general, tarot deck that follows the same rules as the Universal. 22 major arcana, 4 suits [Wands/Chalices/Pentacle/Swords.] of 14 minor, including King/Queen/Knight/Page cards. I only say this because I'm still a beginner and the books I have purchased to help me learn all use the same deck that I am using. I think finding a deck with the same setup will logically be much easier on me to learn.

I'm strongly interested in nature, shamanism, anthropomorphic/zoomorphic animals, ancient egypt and/or water themes.

Thanks for your help!
    There are many decks out there that are good for beginners. Check out this site . It names all kinds of decks, often has pictures and reviews, and ordering information if you see a deck that you like. The Thoth Tarot, the Hanson-Roberts Tarot Deck, Radiant Rider-Waite Tarot, and Madru: Das Baum Tarot are traditional decks.

I would advise you to trust your instincts about cards. If you don't feel comfortable with them for any reason, then don't use them. Experiment, try another deck. Go browse a bookstore and see if one grabs your attention even if it's a non traditional type deck. Most decks that you buy will have a little guide book with them, and interpretations from other books can be looked at as well. In the end it comes down to the impressions you get from the cards themselves rather then what any book says.

So tie me to a post and block my ears
    I can see widows and orphans through my tears
    I know my call despite my faults
    And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
    And I won't let you choke
    On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
    And I will change my ways
    I'll know my name as it's called again
    ~ Mumford and Sons (The Cave)

"I have been in Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots." ~ Susan Straight

Comment

Thank you, I've bookmarked the site you've mentioned and I've slowly been going through the different artwork styles of the decks. I agree with what you've said and I appreciate your help.

Comment

I am just learning myself and I am finding the Sharman-casselli one really useful

I am also using these sites to teach myself

Learning the tarot

Tarot teaching.com

Comment

Off the top of my head, I'd recommend Deviant Moon and Haindl. They don't have a watered-down feeling like many beginner decks do, while maintaining much of the Rider-Waite symbolism.

Comment

I just went out and got the Atlantis deck. Even on just shuffling the cards I can tell that we connect on a far grander scale than my Rider-Waite deck. Thanks for all your help!

Comment

I just went out and got the Atlantis deck. Even on just shuffling the cards I can tell that we connect on a far grander scale than my Rider-Waite deck. Thanks for all your help!
              This! I was going to come here and recommend the deck I started with (Tarot of the Old Path) but then it occurred to me that really what it comes down to is that you connect with the deck. This is going to be different for everyone. I chose Tarot of the Old Path because it really resonated with me. When I bought more decks later they just didn't have the same... "umph" my original deck did.

One thing that I did do that I feel strengthened the bond between me and my deck was to sleep with it near me (on my nightstand, under my pillow, etc) and keep it on my person as much as possible. I made a bag for them and carried them around with me even at school. I hardly took them out in public but I just kept them nearby. This may be overkill to some but it added to my relationship. Find what works best for you!
              Maggie in the Mead {blog}

"I met a lady in the meads,
              Full beautiful - a faery’s child,
              Her hair was long, her foot was light,
              And her eyes were wild.
              "
              -John Keats (La Belle Dame sans Merci)

Comment

I personally avoid that very deck.

But, there are different ways to cleanse decks. You can smudge with sage or sage incense, sweet grass, etc. Another way of cleansing or working with a deck is putting it back in order from major arcana of Fool, Magician, etc. onwards.

If you want to find a deck that speaks to you, I think prayer and meditation helps. I also think going online and/or to stores (occult or "new age" stores) may have more selection to see what speaks to you.

Comment

A good beginner deck is the Robin Wood Tarot. Its a RW clone without a lot of the overt ceremonial magickal symbolism common in similar decks. The grim cards still look grim, the uplifting cards look uplifting. The images are clear and vividly portrayed making it an excellent overall tarot deck especially for beginners.

I highly recommend a beginner start with either a RW clone or the real deal. The Rider/Waite deck was never my favorite though the Radiant Rider/Waite deck does a good job of making the Coleman Smith art much less garish without taking from the symbolism of the cards. But if you don't like Rider/Waite then you won't like the Radiant Rider/Waite either.

A great Qabalistic tarot deck is the Tarot of the Spirit but only if you get the accompanying book which is quite a large volume. The best deck ever for issues of a spiritual nature as that is its primary concern.

My favorite all purpose deck is the Legend: The Arthurian Tarot deck. It's a great deck with an Authurian feel. For example, the Emperor is Arthur and the Hierophant is Taliesin. Its a beautiful deck with the potential for great depth if one is a fan of Arthurian legends. I would certainly get the book as well. There is definately a strong natural world feel to this deck.

)o( Blessed Be,

Sundragon
                  Last edited by Sundragon; November 20th, 2010, 07:13 PM.
                  Come visit my blog

Sorcery and Spirit

where I discuss Magick, Mystical Spirituality and whatever else comes to mind.

" Wherever you are is home
                  And the earth is paradise
                  Wherever you set your feet is holy land . . .
                  You don't live off it like a parasite.
                  You live in it, and it in you,
                  Or you don't survive.
                  And that is the only worship of God there is."

- Wilfred Pelletier and Ted Poole

Comment

Hawaiian Tarot

Aloha!
                    If you are interested in HazelMoon's Hawaiian Tarot, you can see informations about it on my website. www.myhawaiiantarot.com
                    I created it and self-published it. Let me know, if you have any question!
                    Katalin
                    Mahalo Nui Loa
                    Katalin
                    artist/illustrator :uhhuhuh:
                    http://www.myhawaiiantarot.com

Comment

Working...
                    X